Chaos

Lan Xichen walks quickly to the Jingshi for one last inspection while others are bringing Lan Zhan and A-Yuan from the Cold Pond. He smiles, all is in order and ready. He kneels down in front of the doorway and places his forehead on the floor and prays "Please bless this home and lives of the people that will be living here. Give us strength and peace to endure what may come." After a moment he stands up and leaves to the kitchen to bring food for them. Meanwhile ....

Lan Zhan couldn't walk. The whip had cut deep into his back and shoulders and had caused great damage to his spine. Part of him felt nothing but agonizing pain while other parts could feel nothing at all. He was trying to endure the transfer from the Cold Pond but it was beyond difficult. He was being carried on his stomach in a stretcher but the disciplines carrying him were causing him intense pain with each step.

He tried not to cry out or show pain. He bit down on his tongue and pain exploded in his mouth. Blood spurted out and was dripping down his chin. He was leaving a trail of blood on the ground. Every inch of him that could feel pain was in agony. He felt a presence with him all of a sudden.

"I'm here with you my love. I will help you with your pain. Sleep Lan Zhan." "I will stay with you for as long as I'm able" cries Wei Ying. He doesn't know how long his energy will last and how long he can stay before he is pulled away again.

Lan Zhan felt his body being held and a kiss on his brow. "Wei Ying?" "Are you really here? He thinks to himself. "Shush, I am here. Sleep, let me take the pain for you." said Wei Ying. So Lan Zhan gave himself to Wei Ying and closed his eyes. He felt calm and some of his pain was erased. His Wei Ying was with him. Yet no one saw anything, they only noticed that Lan Zhan was finally able to handle the transfer and no longer seemed in as much pain as before. The disciples only assumed Lan Zhan had reached his limit to endure and passed out.

While Lan Zhan was being carried, A-Yuan was also being carried as he was still weak and feverish. Although he was only three years old he understood how badly Lan Zhan was injured and that he was suffering. He is trying to be brave but he is only a baby after all. He is crying and his fever is increasing as he becomes more agitated. He wants to help his father. Then he feels calmer for no reason. "Shh, baba is here. I will help your father and you, so will you be a good boy? Wei Ying also kisses the baby and he nods his head to no one. He closes his eyes and falls asleep. How strange the disciple carrying him thinks "First he was crying and fussy and now he's calm. I really don't care why I'm just glad he stopped crying."

As Lan Xichen approaches the jingshi with the food he hears moaning and crying inside. He quickly places the food down and looks over to Lan Zhan's bed. It is a scene that will never leave his memory.

Lan Zhan is moaning and crying. He is calling out for Wei Ying. His bed is already soaked with blood and sweat. A-Yuan is crying holding Lan Zhan's hand. He becomes hysterical if anyone approaches Lan Zhan or him. He is afraid they will hurt him or Lan Zhan. He is doing his best to protect his father by the only way he knows how.

Lan Xichen carefully and slowly approaches A-Yuan and says "I'm his brother. I won't hurt him or you, I promise." I will send everyone away, it will just be the three of us here alright?" He has to say this several times before it reaches the child's brain. Finally A-Yuan allows Lan Xichen to approach them but he still won't release his hold on Lan Zhan's hand. As Lan Xichen checks them both he realizes both are running fevers and are in need of medical attention. He must call the healers to attend them but first he must comfort A-Yuan and make him understand why the healers must come and help them. Finally A-Yuan nods his head and the healers are called.

This is not the homecoming he was planning or had imagined for them. He thinks to himself "Who to blame for all of this mess? Wei Wuxian, Uncle, Lan Zhan or just the universe in general?" Deep in his heart he knows it doesn't matter who's to blame. What matters is to fix this and help them through this. They have to move forward from this somehow.

Life is full of surprises. Not all of them are good. Sometimes it feels like the universe has put more on you than you can handle. More than you want to handle. Do you give up or do you straighten your shoulders and raise your head up high and say "I can do this". Life is hard but then you find those special people willing to help you through it. We are never alone. Thank you to Manu for teaching me this.