Chapter 2: The background character

"What are you doing here?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, while stepping down.

Standing infront of me was, Ethan Ashford. Or maybe Alec Ashford?

Looking at him, I realized he was Ethan. Alec was blond and Ethan was dark haired.

I don't actually know since they both aren't very popular in school. They were step brothers and total opposites of each other.

Alec was in the basketball team, through which I knew him, though we never actually talked.

Ethan, on the other hand, was the son of the richest man in this town. He rarely ever came to school, due to which he wasn't popular. He had a small group of friends with whom he'd usually hang out with. The only reason I knew Ethan or even noticed him was because he was in the same school as me since we were in like, fifth grade.

The bright sunlight reflected over his dark brown, almost black hair. He was a little taller me ( I was five feet six inches by the way) The most prominent feature on his face was his eyes. His green eyes. They were of olive shade.

He wasn't very popular but whoever saw him, could accept the fact that he was attractive.

With a cigarette in his mouth between his lips, his eyes intense and focused on  me, he stood in front of me. He smelt nice. There was no heavy cologne like how Jason used to wear.

Wait, why am I comparing him to Jason?

"Cat caught your tongue?" Ethan asked again, this time raising his eyebrows at me.

I cleared my throat, before shaking my head 'no'.

"I'm a little confused," I started, eyeing him carefully. He didn't say anything so I continued.

"My Nona died a few minutes ago. But, um, I can't bring myself to cry. I mean I loved her the most in this entire world and she was my favorite person ever, but I can't cry. My heart feels heavy but I, I just can't..." I trailed off, looking down at my heels.

"Happens. Maybe you're too shocked to react and process this or maybe you've been depressed for a long time and haven't cried since long. But, I think it's the first one since you ugly cried two weeks ago when your boyfriend got together with that Charlotte chick." My eyes snap back to him.

"How do you know about that? You don't even come to school." I stared at him, did this entire incident blow up already?

"It was the last day of junior year. Of course I was there. The entire school came that day. I also heard that you withdrew your name from the cheerleading team. Everybody did."

I sighed. It was only a matter of time before everyone found out.

"Yeah. I did. I'm in my healing era. I can't look at him while I try to love myself. It's like, putting salt in the wound you know?" I asked, nodding at him.

He raised his eyebrows, "Healing era?" To which I nodded.

He didn't seem convinced but he didn't say anything. He just, gave me a once over.

"Are you checking me out?" I rolled my eyes at him.

He tsked before saying, "You look different."

"Probably because I'm not in the school uniform I guess."

Yeah, we attended a private school. All the rich kids got in, while all the smart kids got in through scholarships.

He rolled his eyes, "I've seen you many times, in different clothes other than the uniform. What is wrong with your face? You always look like you've had a trip from Hawaii and now you look paler than snow. In fact, I don't know why you're not turning red in the sun."