Chapter 6 - Siobhan

I WOKE UP because an intolerably bright light was burning the inside of my eyes.

"Attention, passengers. American Americans flight 1401 with service to Mexico City is in its final boarding process. All confirmed and ticketed passengers need to be on board at this time. Damas y Caballeros..."

I was at the airport. How convenient. Better be putting me up in first class, and not as an upgrade either, asshats.

I slowly sat up. I was laying on a chaise in front a floor-to-ceiling panoramic window with a western view. The light burning out my retinas was from the setting sun. Couldn't someone lower the shades? I dropped my feet to the ground and vigorously rubbed my face. Just because I was moving didn't mean I was awake.

At the bar were a group of men, all huddled together and whispering. When they realized I was moving, one of them broke away and hurried over.

It was my Uncle Daniel. Notably, he was wearing the same suit he had on when he aided and abetted in the murder of my brother. "Oh, Siobhan, my dear, how are you feeling?" He took a seat next to me. "We were so worried."

My family are professional wordsmiths. Their job is to obfuscate, confuse, twist, and contort facts to keep their clients as far away from justice as possible. I learned a long time ago to never take them on directly, and Daniel... well, he was the worst. In his bow tie and hapless visage, the man had practically weaponized optimism.

Besides, I had the flash drive. I had proof. All I needed was to get away. I took a deep breath. Fake it 'til you make it. "Daniel!" I cried, "oh, Daniel... Patrick..." I fanned my face as I pretended to hold back tears. "Patrick."

Daniel's eyes were just chock full of concern. "You poor, poor child," he cooed. "That must have been dreadful... but we must remember the World of the Lord. Behold we see through a glass darkly, but soon we shall see face to face." He reached in his pocket and handed me a tissue. "He's waiting for us in Abraham's bosom, with your father and mother, and the rest of the saints that have gone before us."

I sniffed and nodded. "I know, but--" real tears were welling up "--but I'm not ready to say goodbye."

"Mediate on this," Daniel replied, "for he shall surely rest in the arms of the Lord who formed us all from the dust of the earth, and holy Mary, the angels and all the saints will welcome him into the garden of the Paradise of the Lord."

I lost it. I completely lost it. I buried my face in my hands and started sobbing.

"The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away," Daniel murmured. "Blessed be the name of the Lord."

"It is a shock. Patrick was greatly love by us all."

I lift my head. My Uncle Leland had joined us and was sitting next to Daniel. "He was also a good lawyer," Leland added. "Not a great one... but good. Sufficient. A little too emotional, in my opinion."

I turned to Daniel, who cast Leland a sour look. "Lee," Daniel chided. "This isn't the time."

"Isn't it?" Leland asked as he pulled a flash drive from his jacket pocket. "Siobhan, my dear, I've always admired your cunning. You are truly your mother's daughter."

I watched the flash drive the way a cat watches a laser pointer. "Patrick's death was by natural causes," Leland continued. "The coroner's report will confirm it. His body will be cremated, according to his last wishes. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

I couldn't help myself... I felt around in my bra to make sure the flash drive was there.

It wasn't. How did they know? "Oh. My. God. You searched inside my bra? That is so-ooo pervy."