CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE;

miss ophelia williams

Her house laid barren.

A place once filled with colorful furniture and decorative paintings and portraits, a place that conceived so many memories, all good and bad and ugly, the place she had grown up in, lost her parents in, became a woman in.

That place now laid quiet, and empty.

Her footsteps echoed off the walls, as the sharp sound of leaves blowing in the peaceful breeze whipped up against the glass windows. She walked the lengths of the home for the last time, finally ending up at the opened front door. She was greeted by the countryside, and the waiting carriage.

Anthony Bridgerton, a man of prestige and honour, stood tall and proud to the side of the carriage, waiting for the young girl to bid her farewells to her childhood home. His wife, the Viscountess Kate Bridgerton, stood next to him, admiring the flowers that climbed the walls of the old estate. The blessed sun made her skin glow, casting the illusion that she wasn't a viscountess, but a princess in a fairytale novel.

Ophelia Williams turned back to take in the final images of her home. It would stay with her, a part of her dowry, now that she was the only surviving member of the noble Williams' Family. As she took the home in all its glory, she could feel the Viscount's gaze on her. He had a family of his own, and one that he needed to get back to.

Reluctantly, Ophelia turns, and makes her way briskly down the stairs. She takes pause by the doors of the carriage, looking to the Viscount, who has been nothing but kind and helpful during the whole transition. "I could sit this season out. I am quite happy living out the next year of my life in this estate with my family's staff".

Kate turned her head to hide her smile at the girl's rebellion, while Anthony had no such luxury. "You and Eloise will get on amazingly," He commented, dodging her question.

"Given that Miss Eloise is so against the idea of having a social season as well, I truly don't see why we don't just forfeit all thought and action for the minute and allow another year to past-"

Anthony threw the carriage door open before Ophelia had a chance to finish speaking. "Let's go, Ophelia. Darkness will be falling soon, and I promised my siblings I'd be home before the sun had set. I would hate to be late".

Ophelia huffed out a sigh, but climbed into the carriage nonetheless. What a hell of a season this would be.

The Bridgerton house sure was...spirited. Even from the first moment Ophelia stepped inside, Anthony and Kate were swarmed by the two youngest Bridgerton children, Gregory and Hyacinth, as Anthony brothers' followed suit. Ophelia clambered 'hellos' and 'nice to meet yous' as they were chorus back at her. She was led by the herd of Bridgertons into the drawing room, where she met the esteemed Violent Bridgerton. It was after all these introductions and words of kindness that Ophelia came to the realization that she was yet to meet the girl she was most intrigued by; the one and only, Eloise Bridgerton.

As it appeared, Ophelia would have to wait for the girl to seek her out by her own accord, as opposed to Ophelia searching for her. So, instead, Ophelia followed Benedict, the second eldest Bridgerton and the jokester of the family, through the winding hallways of Bridgerton House to her bedroom.

It was lavish and spacious and over the top. Thick curtains hung from the windows, and the bed was huge. Her family had always been wealthy, but the Bridgertons, they were rich rich. It explained a lot about their family, and how they held themselves, Ophelia couldn't help but think.

As she got to unpacking her belongings, she listened to the squeals of playful laughter, as small feet ran across the embroidered carpets. Sunlight through her opened windows offered a kind reminder of home in the countryside, as the breeze dusted her room with the sweet scenes of roses and lavender.

Ophelia was so engrossed with the task at hand that she hadn't even realised the appearance of the curious onlooker. She kept her mind at work, pottering around her room, until finally, her eyes were cast upwards, and she caught a glimpse at the offender.

Eloise Bridgerton stood at her doorway, book in hand and dressed in a gorgeous light blue gown. It came as no surprise to Ophelia that the girl was stunningly beautiful - all the Bridgerton children were charming and handsome and beautiful. But the way her curls framed her face, how her eyes watched Ophelia so intently, the girl found it hard to look elsewhere.

"So," Eloise said, her voice firm and defined, "You're the one I'm supposed to aid in this year's social season. I must warn you, I am not a fan of this idiocy, so I would advise you to seek help from Kate as opposed to myself". Her words confused Ophelia, to put it simply, Her tone was asking for a challenge, for a fight, while the words themselves were asking to be obeyed.

Ophelia furrowed her brows, as she ran her hand anxiously through her loose hair. "I, ah..." She needed to get a grip. Her emotions clouding her ability to carry out simple actions was the whole reason she was stuck in this mess. She must collect her, and quickly. "I'm not excited about this impending doom, either," She finally managed to squeak out, "I'm only here due to my brother's passing; I have no adult to chaperone my own matchmaking endeavors in the countryside, so your brother offered me sanctuary here as he aided him during the social season".

Not for a second, not one second, since their initial meeting had Eloise taken her eyes off Ophelia. The girl had already felt out of place, and Eloise was not helping. "So you're not just another mindless sheep who wishes to marry and start producing babies as soon as possible?" She questioned, again, her tone edging on the possibility of a fight.

"I would much rather be at my estate, walking my dog across the grounds".

This piqued Eloise's attention. "You have a dog?"

"Ah, yes," Ophelia answered, as Eloise stood up a little straighter as she listened, "She's a purebred corgi, by the name of Mabel".

Eloise cracked a smile, a wide, beautiful smile that filled Ophelia with sunlight. "Corgis are most adorable! Oh, we must send for her, she simply cannot be prancing around that lonely estate!"

She turned on her heel and took off down the corridor. Ophelia felt the urge to follow, so she did, as Eloise made a beeline to her brother's office to demand the arrival of the dog. Ophelia hadn't realised it until later, but she was beaming with delight the entire time. 

© 2023 ladsontourxo