CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE;

tea with the queen

The last thing Ophelia wanted to do that next day was sit down with the Queen of England herself for tea and chatter, but nonetheless she found herself besides Viscountess Kate Bridgerton as they meandered through the long corridors of the palace, waiting patiently for the Queen to welcome them into her drawing room. Anxiety filled Ophelia's chest, but she knew, for both her and Kate's reputation, she had to keep it together. No forgetting how to breathe or sweating hands welcomed here today.

Ophelia was still reeling from her fight with Eloise from the night prior, and solemn feelings of guilt had overtaken her mind. She should not have reacted the way she did, but she was surprised, and possibly a bit jealous. Nevertheless, she would fix it the minute she returned back to the Bridgerton House. She had to fix it.

"Are you alright?" Kate asked kindly, brushing her arm against Ophelia's to bring her back down to Earth.

"No. Are you?" Ophelia countered.

"Most definitely not," Kate answered honestly, as the Queen's first hand, Brimsley, appeared before them in the corridor.

"The Queen you see you now," He said, his voice monotone and emotionless. As he turned to lead them into the room through the large opened doors, Kate squeezed Ophelia's hand encouragingly. She dropped it quickly, but Ophelia was thankful for the reassurance. She needed it.

The Palace, of course, was magnificent, truly breathtaking. Having lived in the countryside her whole life, Ophelia had never had the fortune of ever seeing the Palace before, and she was beyond amazed by its beauty. She forced herself to keep herself focused, turning her eyes to the Queen and the Queen alone as they entered the room.

They curtsied, and allowed time for the pleasantries. Ophelia let Kate take care of most of them, before eventually they were settled in their seats with a wide array of foods and sweets positioned in front of them.

"So, Viscountess Bridgerton. Is it alright if I call you Kate?" The Queen asked, all authority and prestige.

"Of course, Your Majesty," Kate answered dutifully, her hands placed delicately in her lap. Ophelia could tell, she was as stressed and worried about this entire interaction as Ophelia was.

"How are you finding life as a Viscountess, Kate? Is Mr Bridgerton providing the life you had always imagined?" The Queen asked, sipping her tea eagerly.

"I much enjoy my duties to this society, and to my household. I am most grateful to be aiding both Eloise and Miss Williams here in their debut into society. Of course, Violet, my mother-in-law, has been most helpful". She was gushing, and Ophelia hated it. She wanted to leave so freaking badly.

"Yes, I was under the impression you had two ladies under your watch this season. Miss Williams-" Ophelia snapped her head up, offering a small, scared smile to her Majesty. "How are you finding your time in London? I bet there is no comparison to the dreary countryside, now is there?"

The whole encounter was confusing to Ophelia; was the Queen attempting to gain information about people? Or was she just bored, and in need of some gossip? "Of course. The countryside cannot compare to the opportunities here in London. It truly is a beautiful city".

Oh, god, now she was gushing. It felt gross and icky. Eloise would have been ashamed, and had many words about the whole ordeal.

"It was a tragedy to hear about your brother's passing. Fever, was it?" Ophelia nodded curtly. "Well, I guess we should be thankful you were spared from such a horrid fate. I'm sure the Bridgertons are all grateful for it".

"Of course, your Majesty," Kate answered, before the Queen beckoned Brimsley over. Kate eyed Ophelia, Ophelia offering the same confused expression back at her. Neither truly knew what to expect.

The youngest Bridgerton children were most excited about Kate and Ophelia's outing to the Palace, and what the Queen had to say. The two women convey their versions, and the Bridgertons listened intently. Throughout the whole thing, Ophelia's eyes kept flicking to Eloise, who sat alone and solemn on the lounge, a book laying open on her lap, though not holding her attention as it usually did.

It wasn't until the younger children had gone off with their tutors, and the Bridgerton men had left for their clubs that Ophelia found herself alone with Eloise.

"Sounds like you had an exciting day," She said sarcastically, now completely engrossed in her book.

Ophelia settled on the couch opposite her. Her anger from the day before had completely dissipated, and she had worked herself for the apology all day, but clearly, Eloise was still pissed. "It was definitely something," Ophelia said, her eyes cast to her hands, which were sitting calmly in her lap.

Eloise slammed her book close. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I did not mean to get worked up. You simply wished for information about Sir Philip and I overreacted".

Ophelia had to admit, she was very surprised. Eloise, from the minute Ophelia had met the girl, never anticipated her to be the one to apologies first. "No, it is I that is sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you, or gotten angry, instead I should have been happy for you, for finding a man that interests you, and I am sorry I wasn't supportive. I will be from now",

Eloise made a face, sitting back against the lounge. "I wouldn't say he was interesting," She claimed, "More..."

"Perfectly acceptable?" Ophelia offered, which set both girls off into laughter. "Ah, your mother closed off the house for today, because of mine and Kate's prior engagements today, but I believe this drawing room is to be open tomorrow," Ophelia said, "I'm hoping to not meet with these suitors alone?"

"Do you honestly believe I would allow you to go into battle all on your lonesome?" Eloise exclaimed, "And besides, it's not likely my mother would allow me to sit this one out. You should know this by now, Daisy". The words had slipped out before she could think of the consequences. Ophelia looked up in surprise, as Eloise cringed. "Ignore...ignore that last part-you, you hear nothing!"

"Daisy?" Ophelia asked, "When did you come up with that? Don't be embarrassed!" She cried, as Eloise's cheeks flushed with colour, "I love it, it's cute!"

Eloise cracked a smile. "Yeah, well...I do like Ellie. For myself".

Ophelia gasped. "Benedict!" Eloise cracked up with laughter as the other girl fumed, "I will be sure to kill him the next time I see him".

"Oh, do be sure to carry that task out when I am around, I would desperately love to see that!"

© 2023 ladsontourxo