CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR;

sir philip crane

Cressida Cowper did not seem like a nice person at all. Her sneer and harsh tone irritated Ophelia's ears, and she wished nothing more than to escape from the horrid situation, but she was, in fact, trapped. Half a dozen debutantes followed Miss Cowper around as if she were the Queen herself, at her beck and call for whatever she needed.

And now, she was trying to recruit Ophelia.

Ophelia knew immediately it wasn't out of kindness or friendship. Cressida had been bad mouthing Eloise since even before Ophelia reached their vicinity, and now that she had Ophelia in her talons, she only worsened her words. Eloise was to end up a spinster, she will not help you throughout all this. You need honest, true friends, Miss Williams. We can help you.

Anthony and Kate were around someplace. Benedict and Colin were also in attendance for the Cowper ball, but only due to their mother insisting on it. Despite the amount of allies she had at that ball, Ophelia found herself unable to find any of them at that moment. Eloise wasn't in view from any angle, though Ophelia guessed Violet Bridgerton would be keeping her second eldest daughter on a tight leash this ball, given their known absence from the Danbury Ball.

"And it's just so unfortunate about your brother! I heard he was a truly wonderful man," Cressida was saying with false sympathy. "A true, true tragedy".

"Not really, the guy was nothing more than a fool and a coward," Ophelia said candidly, earning herself shocked and offended looks from all the debutantes. Benedict Bridgerton stood in the corner closest to Ophelia, sipping away at a flask he had concealed in his jacket pocket. "Excuse me, Mr Bridgerton is in need of my presence. It was a pleasure meeting you all," Ophelia lied, slipping away as the girls tried to track down the infamous Bridgerton boy.

"That was quite a show, Miss Williams," Benedict congratulated her once she was beside him. He offered her his flask wordlessly, a sly smile on his face.

"Benedict Bridgerton!" Ophelia exclaimed in fake offence, "You are not seriously offering an impressionable young lady like myself a swig of alcohol, are you?" He was unable to conceal his laughter, taking a sip himself before packing the liquid away in his jacket.

"Most improper of me, my apologies, my lady," He bowed to her, which set Ophelia off into a fit of giggles. "Have you seen my sister this evening? I've been unable to lay eyes on her tonight, though I have been hiding".

"No, I am yet to spot her too. Though, I assume your mother is ensuring she actually makes it out onto the dance floor this evening, given our escape last time".

"I did hear about that! Most impressive," Benedict praised. "Oh!" His eyes wandered the dance floor, as Ophelia tried to follow, "She with Anthony. He's introducing her to some gentlemen".

"Where?" Ophelia demanded, still unable to see the pairing. "And who is he? Does Ellie know him, do we like this gentleman?" She was raised on her tiptoes now, but through the sea of heads and dancing ladies, Ophelia was blind to the scene playing out on the other side of the ballroom.

Benedict looked down at her curiously. "You sure are concerned for the matchmaking endeavors of my sister," He commented innocently.

Ophelia returned to the ground on solid feet. "I'm just worried. Eloise is not easy to make happy, and I do not wish to see her in an unhappy marriage. It will break her, you know".

"Oh, I'm aware," Benedict said knowingly, still looking at Ophelia. He glanced a quick eye at his brother and sister, now recognizing the man. "It's Sir Philip Crane," He conveyed.

"Who?"

"He was married to another girl, we actually knew of her. Penelope Featherington was friends with her, I believe. She must have passed, if he is out here seeking a wife". Benedict pursed his lips. "I'm not taking you to them," He said sharply. While Eloise was hard to please, she had Anthony by her side, and he was much more sane nowadays compared to when Daphne was going through this whole ordeal.

This wasn't about to stop Ophelia, however. "Fine," She declared, hitching up her skirts, "I'll find them myself," She took off into the crowd before Benedict could stop her.

"Damn you, Eloise!" He exclaimed quietly, as he took off after Ophelia.

"What do you mean, he was 'perfectly acceptable'?" Ophelia demanded, watching in annoyance from the bed as Eloise paced the room anxiously. "You, you hate men, you hate marriage! How are we even considering this?"

"We are not considering anything, as it does not concern you! And I have made decisions, nor has he spoken a word about even the possibility of anything! It is nothing, Ophelia, I simply do not understand your disdain for the matter," Eloise retorted, turning at the window to follow the route she had walked about a dozen times prior. 

It was well into the evening now, the ball having ended only a small while ago. Ophelia had left earlier than Eloise and Anthony, having felt faint suddenly. Now, she was feeling fiery.

"I just do not understand why you are reacting this way. From the short time I've known you, you've never spoken kindly of a gentleman, except possibly your own brothers".

"I do not know what it is you want from me, Ophelia. You asked me how my evening was, and I told you!"

"Oh, yes, you told me all about how perfectly acceptable it was. And how kind and smart and funny he was!"

"Seriously, Ophelia, what is your problem with all of this?"

"I am not understanding how you are so calm, Eloise! Every other man you have spoken to, and it is an absolute outroar! You, you hid away with me during the Danbury ball just so you could avoid the suitors your mother had lined up for you!" Ophelia had no account for where this anger had appeared from, but no matter how hard she tried to squash it down, it simply would fight back even harder. "What-what even is his name, hm?"

"His name is Sir Philip Crane, and he is a perfectly acceptable gentleman!"

"Oh, I am aware how perfectly acceptable he is, given how badly you feel the need to shove it in my face!" Ophelia flung her legs over Eloise's bed and crossed the Bridgerton girl's path, interrupting her angry pacing. "I'm feeling rather tired at the minute, I think I shall retire to bed this evening. Goodnight!" She huffed, storming out of the room.

Just before the door slammed shut, Ophelia caught Eloise's words. "I hope you have a perfectly acceptable slumber!" 

© 2023 ladsontourxo