CHAP 3

It's late afternoon now, and the bar is about to open. Finally finished unpacking, I look at the work I've gotten done. Proud of my organization skills and feeling my stomach start to growl, I throw my coat on. Making sure to lock the door, I go down stairs. Walking by Harry, who is just now concluding his cleaning duties before opening,

"Heading out, Miss Brookes?"

"Yes, do you have any restaurant recommendations here in town?"

Bringing his hand to his chin to think, Fenton ponders a moment,

"There's a nice place a few streets over. Down on King's Street, it's called The Goblet."

"Thanks Mr. Fenton," I gently wave bye and start to leave.

"Miss!" He calls out, "I don't mean to tell you what to do, but I wouldn't stay out late if I were you. You being young and not from here and all."

My memory flashes to the rowdy men from earlier that day, I shiver,

"I'll stay safe sir, thank you."

Whilst unpacking earlier, I took my switchblade out of my suitcase. Why I didn't have it on me to begin with is a mystery to me. It now resides safely in my purse. So if anyone were to try anything with me, I'll at least have some security. Bag pressed close to my side, I venture into the streets. Making my way through the muddy road. There are some people walking about and others just sitting around. Thankfully no one pays as much mind to me as they did earlier.

My eyes began to trail along the brick buildings, how the smoke rose in the air above them, it really is beautiful in its own right. Yes it doesn't smell good and some of the people are questionable here, but what large city isn't like that? Philadelphia certainly has its moments of distaste, but it has its own beauty such as this place here. Eventually, after strolling a bit longer, the restaurant came into view. A sign above the doors with proud, thick lettering, shone "The Goblet." Flanking either side of the sign, were smaller signs with wine glasses painted on them. Before I can open the door, someone calls my attention,

"Catherine?!"

It was Matt, from the station! "Fancy seeing you here," he strolls on up with a smile plastered on his face, "and how are you fairing this fine afternoon?"

He's taller than what I thought he was, easily 6 feet tall. He tips his cap as comes up to me.

"Hello Matt," I step away from the door to allow others to walk in, "I'm doing well. How're you?"

I can't help but hope that this interaction is less awkward than the one at the station.

"Oh, quite well, quite well. I, uh, see you're out for dinner?"

A small chuckle bubbles out of my chest, "Yes I am."

As long as I don't tell him he has keen ears I should be fine.

His eyebrows furrow and then he looks around,

"And is there anyone accompanying you for your meal?"

I look up at him, into his gleaming brown eyes. Playfully I sigh,

"Unfortunately no, I'm all alone."

Shaking his head, he straightens his shoulders,

"Well we can't have that, can we?"

Well this is going a different direction than what I was anticipating, not that I was expecting anything in particular.

I reply,

"We can't, no." I try to suppress my smile, is he asking me on a date?

He takes a dramatic breath,

"Well, Miss Catherine, it would be the utmost honor to ask if you would have dinner with me at this fine establishment?" He offers me his arm. I stop to think for a second, debating whether or not to take him up on his offer. Maybe telling a stranger that I'm alone in a city I've never been to before wasn't a good idea. Maybe going to dinner alone with said stranger isn't wise. However, it might actually be nice to be with someone, this trip has been rather lonely so far...

Plus it'll be good to brush up on my people talking skills, I've always hated small talk but it might actually be fun? At least with him it could be.

I reach for his arm,

"I would love to, but you must promise me one thing.."

He looks down at me,

"What would that be?"

I start to laugh,

"You have to promise me you'll talk like a normal person for the night!"

A small chuckle escapes him,

"Sounds like a deal."

He leads me into the restaurant and a host brings us to a table. The restaurant, while nice, isn't too spectacular. It seems well enough for a place to splurge a little, but not to where you're breaking the bank. We both skim through the menu. I try to focus on the options however my eyes keep skipping over to Matt. He looks up at me. I've been caught. I blush, trying to find something more intriguing to set my eyes on.

"So, Catherine," he takes a sip of his water, "you said your mother was from Birmingham?"

"Yes, she was. She didn't speak of it often though. I think it was just too many bad memories."

"And what do you think of it?"

"Well, most of my day was spent in my hotel room," I pause, "But in certain aspects it reminds me of home. Which is nice, it's just hard since my mom isn't with me. You know?"

A tear threatened to fall, oh I how I miss her.

"I totally understand Catherine-"

I interrupt him,

"Cat."

He looks at me with a quizzical brow,

"What?"

"You can call me Cat, it's what my friends call me.."

He smiles,

"Cat," as if he were testing it out, "Well Cat, if you ever want someone to show you around and help navigate. Let me know."

I look at the young man in front of me, I have a feeling we're going to be friends.

AUTHORS NOTE:

Woohoo a new chap! What do we think of Matt? Will Cat and he become friends?? Or more than friends?! *side eye*

Check in soon, a new chapter is in the making! Don't forget to favorite, comment, and follow yours truly!

LOVE YOU MWAH