CHAP 5

Diffused sunbeams shine through the sheer drapes on the window. Last night's events keep replaying in my head, how could I have been so stupid? I should have just gone along with it...He just looked so confused. Ugh. This is so stressful, and I shouldn't even be focusing on that! Today I'll meet with Tommy Shelby in regards to the message from my mother. Hopefully he'll have the answers I'm looking for. If not, I'll be back at square one. Which is not somewhere I want to be. Slipping on my favorite dress, I look into the mirror. It's a pretty thing, it's boxy enough to where it's fashionable but has a cream colored sash tied around to show waistline. I pop on my hat and I'm good to go. The chill of the morning nips at my face as I walk along the road. The morning fog sitting on the city was thick. According to the directions Fenton gave me on the way out, I should be at Shelby's office soon. Eventually I found myself at Watery Lane. The street is fairly bare except for a group of men standing outside an apartment. They were all yelling and waving paper in the air. Something in my gut told me that's where my destination is. As I get closer, I overhear their conversations. They ramble on about betting and gambling. Some of the men stare but most are too distracted amongst themselves. I walk past them, clutching my bag for the reassurance of my knife. I knock on the front door. Waiting for someone to answer, my gaze meets a horseshoe above the door. One of the men had started to whistle at me, thankfully a woman opened the door.

I smile nervously,

"Good timing miss."

She has a cigarette between her fingers,

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, I'm here to see Mr.Thomas Shelby. Is he here?"

She takes a puff of the cigarette,

"Maybe. Do you have a name?"

"Catherine Brookes."

She begins to close the door,

"You need to make an appointment."

Shoving my foot in the door I call out,

"Wait!" I take a breath, "My mother is Elsie Brookes."

The door creaks open,

"Well you could have led on with that. Follow me, be quick."

And with that I follow the dark haired woman who's name is apparently Lizzie.

As we walk through the betting rooms she talks, barely over her shoulder but loud enough for me to hear,

"It's a good thing you came today. After today he won't be in town for a while."

We make it to a little sitting area,

"Business?"

A hollow smile meets her lips,

"Yes, business. Down in London." She took a seat at her desk, beckoning me to find a chair against the wall, "Mr. Shelby should be here soon. In the meantime, make yourself comfortable, Miss Brookes," she mutters under her breath, "Knowing Tommy, he might be a while."

NOTE

OKAY. I'm so sorry for the short chapter and being late. I recently got promoted at my job (yay!) but unfortunately it has been very draining and a bit stressful. So I will update as often as i can. I really want to as I am excited to see where the story may go. Feel free to comment story ideas or thoughts! VOTE AND FOLLOW ME IF YOU WANT TO GET UPDATES ON THE STORY. Once agasin sorry for being late. ily MWAH