CHAPTER 4

The rest of dinner goes well. Matt is a really fun person to be around and has some interesting ideas about the world. His childhood was also pretty rough. When he was eight, his father died after getting into a disagreement over money with some bad people. Matt's eldest brother had to step up to the plate being the man of the house. His mother hasn't been the same since, still believing that her love is alive. Jane, his older sister, spent most of her time caring for their mother.

"She'll still put out an extra plate for him, or look at the clock as if he were on his way home from work."

"Oh how tragic," my hand reaches for his hand over the table. Gently squeezing it for reassurance. He smiles slightly, except it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"It's been ten years now, him being gone. The doctors say to just go along with her fantasies. You can only repeat the news so much, it never clicks for her. That he's not coming back."

I can tell he's trying to not get emotional but his voice sounds tense. Silence falls on the table, but the air isn't awkward, "Sorry."

Why is he sorry?

"What are you apologizing for?"

Emptily he laughs,
"For dumping that on you."

I scoff,

"Matt, it's okay. You didn't dump anything on me. We were just having a conversation, getting to know each other."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

I realize we're still holding hands. I pull mine back but he's staring at me,

"What? Is there something stuck in my teeth?" I cover my mouth with my hand. He laughs, a real laugh,

"No! I just was thinking-" he pauses, shaking his head, "Never mind."

He's still smiling as he reaches for his pocket watch, "It's getting late."

I look out the window, the sun is setting! How long have we been talking for?

"Oh wow! I ought to get back to my place."

"Let me walk with you."

"Alright, thank you."

I can only imagine the unsavory people that would be out after dark...

We pay for our meals, or he pays for our meals. Offering his arm for me, we head out onto the streets. The golden rays of the sun were peaking through the clouds and smog of the city. People were all on their way home, some shops were being closed up. Automobiles were honking their way through the streets.

As we began our trek, Matt asks

"So. In the least creepy way possible, where are you staying?"

I slightly laugh,

"I'm staying at the Garrison. The landlord is letting me rent one of the rooms above the bar."

He stops walking,

"The Garrison?"

"Yes, it's just a few streets over. What of it?"

He sighs then looks around,

"It's a good thing I'm walking with you Cat. It's not safe there. Lots of bad people hang around at that pub."

"The landlord was friends with my mom when she lived here. I'll be safe, thanks for your worry though."

He didn't seem satisfied with my reply,

"Alright but if you need a place to stay, I'm sure my older sister Jane would be fine with it."