Noodles and Canoodling

Sunday, January 29th:

Wille woke up, scowling at the bright sunshine streaming through the window. It didn't fit his mood at all.

He had hardly slept, thoughts intruding every time he was about to fall asleep.

Sighing, he grabbed his phone and looked at the time. It was still very early, which was actually a good thing.

Leaning over the edge of the bed, he was able to reach his backpack, and dragged it closer. He dug around inside, taking out the boxes he had picked up at the post office yesterday, before going to Simon's house.

Opening them up, he pulled out all the tiny devices, reading the instructions and figuring out how they worked. There was an app to download, and the feed from the cameras came through clearly. This was awesome. Exactly what he needed. It was a welcome distraction from the drama with Simon.

Checking the time again, he got dressed and watched for August returning from his outdoor workout. Like last Sunday, he was able to slip out and get over to the Society club room without getting noticed.

He did a quick search again, but didn't find any more drug bottles or anything of interest.

The next step was the trickiest. Setting up the devices to capture good videos and audio. He did his best, and knew he might have to come back if they weren't working right. Ideally, like a doorbell cam, the app would record when there was activity in the room.

...

"Thanks for coming out here with me," Wille said, scooping up a large spoonful of noodles and broth. The hearty ramen was exactly what he needed. A comforting food on a cold day.

"Are you kidding me? I'm always up for some sushi," Felice relied, skillfully dipping some salmon nigiri into a shallow dish of soya sauce, and taking a bite. She handled her chopsticks like a pro.

Scanning around the restaurant, it was only about a third full and they didn't seem to be getting any funny looks.

It helped that Felice had tucked her hair into a slouchy dark grey beanie, and was bundled up in casual clothes. Wille was wearing a khaki coloured beanie, which completely covered his hair. He was also wearing eye glasses with thick black plastic frames, obscuring many of his features. The lenses were just plain glass.

Their casual clothes made them look like any other young couple, and helped Wille relax. They ate in silence for a while, enjoying their food.

"So, I can tell something is bothering you. Is it still about August?" Felice asked.

Wille shook his head. "No, things are progressing along there. I'll update you when I get something good."

Felice nodded, and ate a California roll. She knew Wille would talk when he was ready.

Setting down his spoon, Wille wondered where to start. "Simon... um, we kissed."

Felice almost fell off her chair. "What?" She leaned forward, staring at Wille.

Wille rolled his eyes. "It's a big mess. I don't even know how to explain it to you."

"Well, everyone has seen that you two are suddenly the best of friends. We've hardly seen you apart for the past few weeks."

"Exactly," Wille said, nodding along. "It all happened really fast, and that's probably part of the problem."

"What problem?"

Wille shrugged a shoulder. "I think Simon has been a bit lonely since he came to this school. He left all his friends behind."

"Yeah, I know he did it for Sara. She is coming along so well," Felice smiled.