Blowing Up

Thursday, Feb 2nd:

The video had gone completely viral over the next few days. Wille's videos from last fall were recirculating, and Simon got recognized as the one in the drug scuffle. Many started questioning the nature of their relationship.

What really added fuel to that fire was a tweet from a server from a restaurant in Stockholm. They told the world about overhearing Felice teasing Wille that he liked Simon. Things really blew up then, and Wille had stopped reading the comments or watching the number of hits.

...

Walking down to the stable after lunch, Wille looked around but there was no one around. Most of the equestrians were there in the mornings and evenings to take care of their horses.

Rousseau greeted him with a soft neigh, and Wille stroked his head as he fed him a few treats.

Simon slipped into the stable, nodding at Wille. "The online response has been nuts!"

Turning, Wille leaned back against the stall. "I know. Way more than we had before. Your song really caught people's attention."

"I have to admit it was wonderful getting that response to my music," Simon glanced downwards, and his shoulders seemed to slump. "But it's a lot to handle the rest of it."

Wille completely understood. The last couple days, everyone in the school seemed to looking at them, whispering to their friends. He had texted Simon to meet now to discuss what to do.

"I read enough of the comments to see most are speculating that we are a couple. No wonder it's causing such a stir."

Simon sighed, looking at Wille. "Marcus is pissed. How is Felice taking it?"

The question was so strange Wille took a second before answering it. "Ah, we are just friends." Had Simon thought they were a couple?

Simon gave him a disbelieving look. "Come on... you were dating all during Christmas break. Going to the ballet not long ago-"

"Those outings were all set up by the Court!" Wille interrupted, stepping towards Simon. "You know what it was like after that video came out in December. They wanted me to make a statement. I convinced them it wasn't needed. Agreed to do more public appearances over the holidays, and she was just along as a friend."

Simon scoffed. "I saw the pictures. You looked like a couple. Wasn't there one of you kissing at New Year's? At some big fancy ball?"

"Everyone kisses at New Year's!" Wille said, so frustrated. "We only dated in November. She actually broke up with me at the end of the Parents' weekend. It was right before you attacked August, shoved his face in the dirt."

"He's such a shithead," Simon seemed a little more relaxed now. "I should do that to him again."

"Please do." Wille was totally on board with that idea. "In the past few weeks I learned more. August was the one who posted the video."

"What?" Simon's eyes were wide with shock. "Why? I get that he was pissed at me over the drug stuff, but he's your cousin."

"Second cousin," Wille automatically corrected. "He sold it to a tabloid. He got enough to cover his tuition."

"What a fucking sleaze bag," Simon shook his head. "It shows how low he'll go."

"And now, with all this interest in us, I wonder if other people will try to record us. Sell more videos."

"Yeah," Simon looked sad. "Even just hanging out as friends. I'm trying to get a grant for next year. I need to appear like a normal, hard working student."