The Witty Gandharva

Note: The story takes place in an Indian mythical setting. If you're not familiar with Hinduism, Indian mythology, and culture, then you might not be able to understand a few words...thus, there's a glossary at the end of the story to help you with understanding. Jungkook is refereed to as Jeongguk here.

_____________________________________________________

It was Satya Yuga and the Asuras were constantly conspiring against the Devas to win over Swarga Lok. On the other hand, the Devas, ignorant about all these, were enjoying their lives to the fullest in the Swarga Lok. On one such occasion, all the Devas gathered in the heavenly court of Indra Lok and they were all drinking Soma Rasa while enjoying the divine music played by the Gandharvas as the divine Apsaras entertained them with their dance. Among the Gandharvas, was a Gandharva by the name Jungkook who was the fairest of them all and his songs could make anyone happy as he was the best singer of Indra Lok. As all the Devas were engrossed in the act presented by Jeongguk, the Asuras suddenly attacked them and surrounded the court of Indra leaving no place for anyone to escape. The Devas, in an attempt to defend their realm, tried to fight against the Asuras with their full might but they were overpowered and captured by the Asuras within moments.

"Hahaha...wondering how did we overpower you all so easily?!" The Asura king asked. "The Soma Rasa you all drank isn't Soma Rasa at all...it is a potion from our realm that drains all your energy and power. Your power right now is no better than a human on earth....hahahaha." He paused to look at an Apsara, "All thanks to my daughter here who disguised herself as one of your Apsaras and fed you all the potion." As soon as the Asura king said that, his daughter revealed her true self and all the Devas were shocked.

Indra Dev became furious and yelled, "YOU DARE DECEIT US, YOU COWARDS?!"

The Asura king challenged Indra Dev saying, "Do not raise your voice, Indra...this isn't your realm anymore. If you surrender to us right now, we'll let you live..."

Indra Dev glared at him and then disappeared into thin air...the other Devas, Apsaras, and Gandharvas followed his lead and did the same. Before Jeongguk could do the same, the Asura princess grabbed his arm.

"What are you doing, princess?!" Jeongguk furrowed his brows.

"HUH! WHAT A COWARD! NOW INDRA WILL GO TO THAT VISHNU AND CRY FOR HELP!" The Asura king mocked as he sat on Indra Dev's throne. He looked at his daughter and asked, "Who is this, daughter?"

"Father, I wish to marry him...please allow me to," She requested.

"This cannot be! You are an Asura princess and I am a divine entity...I can't marry you else I will have to live in hell...besides, I don't love you!" Jeongguk snatched his hand from her grip but the other Asuras pointed their swords and spears at him.

"HOW DARE YOU REJECT MY DAUGHTER?!" The Asura king yelled, "IF YOU REFUSE TO MARRY HER, I'LL BEHEAD YOU!" He warned him.

Jeonnguk politely bowed, "Your Majesty, a wedding cannot be forced...if you force this upon me, I will not be able to keep your daughter happy...she'll lead a miserable life in this unhappy marriage and I don't want that...may she get a better husband," Saying that he immediately disappeared.

"THAT ELUSIVE GANDHARVA JUST TRAPPED US WITH HIS WORDS AND VERY CLEVERLY FLED. FIND HIM RIGHT NOW FOR MY DAUGHTER SHALL MARRY HIM. AND I WILL SEE TO IT HOW HE DOESN'T KEEP MY DAUGHTER HAPPY!" Enraged, the Asura king ordered.