Chapter 3 - Free Cake

Em plopped down on the ground, watching Benson approach with the shears. They were at the bushes on the east end of the Park, and Benson had decided earlier to try to teach the new recruit how to actually do jobs around, provided he was gonna be staying here rent-free. He could earn his keep just as much as the others – he was smart enough to do basic tasks.

The dog's head tilted as he watched his boss began snipping at the leaves on the bush.

"Just make sure you don't cut the leaves too short. It's fine if you leave a little bit too much because that's easily fixable. But cutting them too short can't be fixed immediately."

"How long does it takes to fixes them?"

"A few months. We have to wait for them to grow out more, and it's just frustrating and time consuming. Just make sure you're somewhat consistent with them."

Em paused, before nodding a couple of times and sticking the tip of his tongue out, something Benson had learned was a sign that he was paying attention.

"So, when you hold one of these, you point the blades away from you at all times, and watch your fingers. You don't wanna cut any off. That hurts. Anyways, then you-"

"BENSON, BENSON!" Came two oh-so familiar voices. Benson and Em both turned their heads to the now-approaching Mordecai and Rigby. "We want the cake!"

"The cake. From the snack bar?" Benson cocked a single brow.

"Yessss," Rigby made grabby hands, "the chocolate one!"

"Are you going to pay for it?"

The raccoon went silent, mismatched hues prying away and staring at the floor. "Uhh-"

"That cake is free for employee birthdays only. And it's neither of your birthdays."

Rigby threw his arms up in defeat. "Aw, man! He's killin' us with that!!"

Mordecai and Rigby both sadly waved their hands in the air. "No cake...no cake..."

A nearby bush began to rattle, and suddenly, Pops popped out, decked out in birdwatching gear, binoculars in hand. Em jumped, but shook himself back into his default. "But it is Skips' birthday today!"

The best friends instantly perked up, and excitedly waved their hands in the air. "Free cake! Free cake!"

"But he's really private about it," Benson added in.

The two repeated their sad dance. "No cake, no cake."

"I doesn't gets it." The dog cocked a brow, the same way he'd seen Benson do. "Wassa birfday?"

"The day you were born," Benson folded his arms over his chest, mindful of the shears in his hand. "When the date comes around each year and you get a year older, you and your friends and family celebrate."

"Wait, are you sayin' what I think you're sayin'?" Rigby blinked a few times.

"What does you thinks I's saying?"

"Have you never been to a birthday party before?"

Em blinked back. "Birfday...party?"

Benson paused, putting a finger to his chin. "Come to think of it...I don't think we've ever had a party for Skips."

"If memory serves," Pops, who'd started looking through the binoculars, lowered them as he spoke, "Skips secludes himself in the woods every year on the day of his birth."

"So wait, you guys have never thrown a party for Skips? And Em's never been to a party?"

"No," Benson and Em both replied in unison.