Chapter VIII: The Raiding Party

Luke awoke to the beeping of his alarm clock next to him. Instinctively he rolled over and put a pillow on his head to muffle the sound, although a second later he opened his eyes to see the sun shining through the curtains of his room.

Luke groaned and tossed the pillow off his head before rolling over and hitting the top of his alarm clock to stop its endless beeping.

Getting out of bed he stifled a yawn as he wandered to his closet and began to get dressed in a simple shirt and some shorts.

Walking down the stairs he saw Matthew, already dressed as if he was about to go out to town, sitting at the table eating buttered toast. A steaming cup of coffee was set next to him.

"You're finally up," Matthew noted as he took a sip of his coffee.

"Finally? You just wake up early." Luke retorted, rubbing his eyes. He walked to sit down at the opposite end of the table.

Matthew glanced at the ticking clock on the wall. Luke followed his glance to read the hands of the clock. It was 10:15.

"You woke up early," Luke repeated.

Matthew just rolled his eyes. "By the way." He gestured to the kitchen. "Why do you have a coffee maker if you don't drink coffee?" He took another sip of coffee.

Luke shrugged. "Same reason I have an oven and stove even though I can't cook. It's just part of the acetic."

"Well anyways," Matthew took another sip. "There was a knock at the door; the weapons you ordered?"

Luke muttered. "Probably" before wandering off towards the door.

Luke came back shortly after, setting a shipping box on the table, and beginning to open it like a child with a Christmas present.

Finally, he pulled two wrapped packages, sliding one in front of Matthew.

Setting his food down, Matthew unwrapped the package. Inside were two halves of a spear that could be screwed together. The spear was made completely of metal but was considerably lighter than his prior weapon. He tapped the side of the spear's shaft as a low clang rang out.

"Hollow?" Luke asked, beginning to get more smaller wrapped packages out of the box.

"Yep, that's what E-rank stuff will get you," Matthew explained. "Won't be half as durable as the old one you'd got me."

Matthew screwed the two halves of the spear together until finally it clicked into place. Almost immediately he heard a ding as a golden screen appeared in front of him.

===================================

[Iron Spear]

[Rank: E]

[Attack: +10]

[Description: A simple iron spear made of reinforced metal. It is relatively brittle compared to higher-ranked weapons]

===================================

"Can't be that bad?" Luke mumbled, glancing at the screen. He began opening all of his small packages. In each one were separate parts of a revolver which Luke began to fit together. Once the final part had clicked together another ding rang out as a red screen rimmed with briars opened.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

[Revolver]

[Rank: E]

[Ammunition Cost: 1 MP]

[Attack: +10]