Prologue (Ch.1)

Authors Note: Hi Everyone! Ocean here, I just wanted to say that this story is very near and dear to my heart. I LOVE Daiya No Ace and have wanted to write a story about this world for a long time. I finally have the courage to do so, and it just so happens to be incredibly therapeutic for me. As someone who was set to play softball at a college and lost a scholarship because of a shoulder injury, I wanted to pull from that pain. HOWEVER: this is not an author insert and that is the only thing I have in common with my MC Kaoru. I hope you all enjoy this story! I have no idea where the plot will go so please feel free to engage, critique and offer up ideas! 

"Now up to bat, first-year starter, #23, Bokuto Kaoru!" The announcer's introduction echoed through the speakers as Kaoru approached the plate.

Stretching the bat over her head, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Visualizing the success of this up bat - a line drive to the right field gap.

It was the bottom of the last inning, Seidou High was down by 1 run with a runner on second base and 2 outs. If she could just land a hit into the outfield, they would tie it up and keep the game going.

Everything was riding on this moment. Standing in the batter's box, Kaoru stared the pitcher down - the sound of the stadium fading away as she focused on the ball as the opponent began her windup.

The Seidou baseball team sat in the stands watching their school's softball team compete. The winner of this game would go on to Koshien, continuing the softball team's long-standing tradition.

"How many years in a row has the softball team made it to Koshien?" asked the baseball team's shortstop, Kuramochi Yoichi.

"9 years, if they clinch it today that will make 10 in a row," replied the first baseman Yuki Tetsuya, a serious look on his face as he watched the game below.

The ding of the bat caused the team to refocus on the batter below. Another foul ball put the count at 3 balls and 2 strikes. The first year Kaoru was looking confident in the box, no hints of nervousness in her body language.

"Bokuto-chan is putting up a good fight," said second year and second baseman Kominato Ryōsuke, a smirk on his face. The group nodded as yet another foul ball hit the net behind home plate.

Just as the ball left the pitcher's hand, Kaoru zeroed in on the spin as her bat was guided perfectly to the ball. The ping of the contact was music to her ears as she watched it fly right into the outfield gap she had envisioned.

Taking off into a sprint, she rounded first and second, diving head first into third base safely. Standing up on the base, she faced her team's dugout as the stadium erupted into cheers.

Yelling in joy, she mimicked a bow and arrow motion to her teammates, a tradition if you score a run on the Seidou softball team.

Being a first year was hard enough, but being a starter at one of the most elite high schools in the country of Japan? Near impossible.

Her heart thudded in her chest with adrenaline as she readied herself on the base, the coach had signaled for a sacrifice bunt. If executed correctly, as soon as the ball touches the ground she will be sliding into home before it is even fielded.

This was their chance, if she scored, her team pulled out the win. They would make it to the Koshien tournament for a 10th year in a row.

The baseball team was more focused on the game than ever before, that hit had one hopped the fence, they nearly thought it was a homerun. If they scored here, the team would be even more motivated for their game the next day.

"WAY TO GO BOKUTO-CHAN!" shouted outfielder Isashki Jun, his loud mouth could not be contained after a hit like that.

Kaoru nearly laughed, she could hear her senpai's yell even through the crowd of spectators. Her eyes lit up as she saw the pitcher release the pitch, her teammate squared to the ball, placing a bunt on the third base side.