holding on

"So, Sarah just dips and doesn't call?"

John B, as much as you loved him, was a dumbass. In his defense, he did just get out of prison and you had no doubt that there was a lot on his mind, but sometimes you wanted to slap him. Clearly, his girlfriend wouldn't have an idea that he was back and evidently, he couldn't think far enough ahead to consider that.

"Yeah, man. She just left her bag. Didn't tell anybody."

"I-I really think Ward got to her. I mean, the dude tried to have me killed in jail." As your friends flipped toward him in concern, a chill ran down your spine. "He sent somebody to the prison who yoked me up and almost killed me."

"You serious?"

"Yes! Do you see these bruises? I didn't get them from a massage, Kie!"

"Do we know who this dude was?"

"What? No!"

"Enough!" The word was enough to snap them out of their conversation, all eyes coming towards your direction where you hid behind your sunglasses. "He's not lying. Ward told me it was coming a week ago, before the court session. I don't know who it is, but obviously he paid someone. Either way, it doesn't matter now. You're home, that's the biggest hitch in his plan, okay? So, it's fine for now."

John B sent you a death glare as he plopped onto the HMS Pogue across from Kie. "No, Y/N, it's not fine. We gotta find Sarah."

"No, literally," You repeated smugly as you pointed past his shoulder towards the approaching boat. "She's right there."

John B turned around to see Topper's Malibu gliding through the water with the Kook himself accompanied by none other than Sarah Cameron. She didn't hesitate to shout your brother's name, relief overwhelming her features as she stood up from her seat.

"What the hell is she doing with Topper?" Kie's distaste was hard to miss as she glanced over her shoulder to look at you, JJ, and Pope. You could only shrug in response. Your chest felt heavy as you looked towards Topper, half expecting some snarky comment, but instead you were met with sadness. Topper was the one Kook who didn't make you want to throw hands. Sure, he could be annoying and privileged, but he meant well at the end of the day.

"Sarah, they're coming after Rafe."

"Good, he's completely unhinged." Her comment made you laugh sharply. It's almost like you'd been saying that for a while now. "He jumped me last night."

Now that, you weren't expecting. Ward had the biggest soft spot for Sarah, so you assumed that followed for Rafe too considering he was a daddy's boy. Clearly, the eldest Cameron child had gone beyond that, especially when he shot her in the hip not too long ago.

"Yeah, man, Rafe's lost his mind. Literally almost drowned his own sister," Topper added, "Thankfully I got there just in time."

The awkward tension made you want to throw up and based on JJ's face, he felt the same way. The blond boy gave you a small wink as he rested his hand on your ankle, rough fingers brushing over your skin. You shifted towards him quietly, flipping around so you could rest your head against his thigh. The sun was warm against the thin long-sleeve shirt you had tugged from JJ's drawer this morning, but you weren't complaining.

You closed your eyes and tuned out the uncomfortable conversation between your brother and his girlfriend, instead opting to listen to the small waves and seagulls up above. You had yet to let your body relax from the GoGoGo it had been experiencing for so long but you hoped you'd be able to adjust soon.

"Hi, babe." The yellow light from the sun disappeared from your closed eyelids before you blinked directly into JJ's gaze. A small smile formed on your lips as you reached up and gently smacked his face away.