the place where i belong

The boys were quick to catch you up, more so John B sharing details with you and JJ about being held at gunpoint, the fact that your dad killed two people and threw them overboard, and always hesitated when it came to John B versus the treasure. You were spiraling in shock that all of this happened and you had no idea. You knew John B was shaken from coming back the other day, but you didn't imagine this to be why.

Before you knew it, the three of you were piled into the Twinkie with John B and JJ up front fighting over a map.

"Walk me through it one more time."

"Okay, right there-" John B's finger smacked the map. "That's where they're taking him. That's the sight of the idol."

Your brows furrowed as you leaned in between them, glancing at where he motioned to. "You pointed to just South America, you understand that, right?"

He gave a hesitant nod before replying, "Yup."

"That's all you know? He's somewhere in South America?"

"That's why we're going to the professor's house!" Your brother defended back. "Look, he was at the site."

You groaned, letting your head fall against the seat when JJ started freaking out. "Wait. Whoa, whoa, whoa! We're going to a house now with a dead body in it? That-that's where we're going?"

"...Yeah."

"And if the cops show up, you know what that makes us look like?"

"...Yes."

"Okay!" You inserted yourself again and pulled the useless map from JJ's hands. "Let's not focus on that please before I make you turn around and go home. Let's just make this quick, okay? In and out."

John B slowed the van down once you approached a house so he could park on the side of the street. The three of you climbed out and ducked through the landscaping to the side door. John B walked in first, you next, with JJ bringing up the back.

The house was a disaster but you were honestly expecting that. You were anticipating a dead body the second you walked in but were glad that wasn't in sight and could hopefully be avoided.

"His body's gone," John B said as he approached the wooden table in the center of the room. "Sowell was right here."

JJ glanced over your shoulder. "Right, no, I know what happened. They've already been here, John B. They sent in the sweepers and now probably decontaminated this entire room. There's probably nothing left, we should get out."

John B continued to pace around the room and looked for anything that could possibly be helpful. "May-maybe there is something," He held his hands out in defense. You could tell he was starting to freak out at the idea of not finding anything to help.

"Okay, what are we looking for exactly?" You sighed as you looked around the messy room. This could take hours to go through if you didn't have a goal in mind.

"Anything to do with an archaeological dig."

You huffed, "Yeah, okay, bro. That really narrows it down." You began to shift through the stack of books in front of you, quickly reading titles before deciding they were useless.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't leave your fingerprints!" JJ followed after you with a rag to wipe off anything you had touched. You shook your head at him as he announced that he was going to look in the kitchen, that nobody ever touches the fridge.

A few maps were scattered across the shelves you were searching, but none of them were for South America. This was beginning to seem useless. You couldn't lie, you weren't 100% about going to rescue your dad as soon as possible, but the idea of losing El Dorado to Singh was enough to motivate you.