Chapter 28

Their walk was fast as he spoke what little details he found allowable to share. His steps were even larger than her own, an act that told her how serious the current situation was, and she even caught herself pulling Gaara hard to keep up with her pace. The small boy protested none and instead took in a little interest to what Baki was telling Sakura along the way. For the rosette, in a way, Baki was throwing her into déjà vu once more with his words.

A special team had been sent out weeks ago, searching for a man Baki only referred to as, "someone of interest." Apparently this someone had been spotted within their country, and the team was sent to gather intel and report back immediately if they found him. A mission that was constructed to remain combat-free. However, as Sakura knew best, missions could easily change in the blink of an eye, and this intelligence gathering had turned deadly. Only one man had been brought back from the small group, unconscious, fighting for his life from poison the medical team failed over and over to overcome. Their last hope was also on the brink of giving up, doing all she could so far. Yet, Baki raced now with what he hoped was another solution.

He briefed her quickly.

"Needles laced with poison," he told her.

'Acute toxicity,' her mind told her instead.

Her eyes narrowed, she had treated something similar here in Suna years ago.

"Even the expert we brought in is stumped," Baki continued. "The patient shows no signs of responding to the antidote given by our expert."

'It is something they've never seen before,' her mind said.

"We believe the person of interest we were searching for did this to him. Our...intel tells us he is someone intelligent in the field of poison," Baki said.

'Sasori...'

"He doesn't have much longer."

"Leave it to me," Sakura said without a pause in her voice.

She even gripped Gaara's hand tighter before picking up their pace and towards the hospital Baki led them to. They raced together inside the bright room of the hospital and stopped as Baki called for the head doctor. Sakura stood back, watching and waiting as Baki explained on her behalf who she was. The rosette was even going to take a step forward to introduce herself to the doctor, to explain that she could be of help, but stopped when she heard Gaara murmur towards her.

"They're looking at me, Sakura," he whispered to the rosette.

To his words, Sakura looked down at Gaara before her eyes whipped in the direction he was looking. Sure enough, the nurses and secretaries who stood idly by stared back in shock and awe at the little boy in their presence. Those that were able, visitors and patients, capable of leaving were hurrying out the door from the sight of him. Not long after, Sakura could feel Gaara's fingers fidget lightly, and a small whimper of despair echoed in her ears from him. It was the second time, in a long time, Sakura had brought Gaara in a place surrounded by many in close proximity. She learned back then that the small boy did not do well with judging eyes and frightened scowls.

"Ignore them," she whispered back with a squeeze of his hand. "Don't look at them, look at me instead."

As his head picked up to her words, she offered him a smile, and he returned the gesture with a small one of his own.

"This is a hospital," she told him, using words to distract him lest his anxiety return.

He nodded to her, glancing around the waiting room again. She wasn't sure if he was familiar of the place or not, but she was sure he focused on her words more than the eyes of others.