Chapter One: Cheat Death, Lose At Cards

[Note: For those not familiar with the Japanese Yugioh names

Anzu Masaki = Tea Gardener
Honda Hiroto = Tristan Taylor
Jonouchi Katsuya = Joey Wheeler]

The Pharaoh laughs, lounging about in the golden decadence of his palace in the afterlife. He can't help himself. Seto is absolutely ridiculous coming here. To think he spent all this time denying the existence of Egyptian myth for so long when it was resting at the tip of his nose, only to change his mind now. It's as if Atem's absence sent him spiraling into madness. Truly, he must have a few screws loose to throw out the laws of reality and break into the afterlife.

It's hilarious the amount of effort Kaiba puts into this stuff. He never ceases to find new and inventive ways to lose at a card game. Watching Seto refuse to swallow his pride and admit he's never going to beat the Pharaoh is more entertaining than the game itself. Seto declares the third rematch in this sitting. It's pathetic, yet Atem can't help but indulge. His afterlife is lacking in skilled opponents. Instead, he has the millennium puzzle on display in the hall as a reminder of his more exciting dueling career and the friends he made along the way.

Atem beats him yet again. He looks up from his cards and smirks. "Another round?"

"Obviously, I'm not leaving until I beat you." He huffs. The two are sitting on the floor, playing the game the old-fashioned way. No illusions, no duel disks, just two grown men with cards on the hard stone tile. It's cold but not dusty.

"Poor Mokuba. You're going to be here for a while, Seto."

"I have four hours. I'll beat you before then." Seto says confidently.

"And I have eternity." Atem looks his opponent up and down. He plays his first card face down. "Are you cheating death to be here?"

"Death isn't hard to fool. It's none of your concern." Seto responds. Atem can't argue with that. Regardless of how, Atem is overjoyed to have Seto play with him, even if he is on a hard time limit. Hours pass and Seto remains without a victory.

Atem goes to ask if he'd like to play again. He doesn't get one word out before an alarm on Seto's watch goes off. That must mean they're out of time. What a shame. Kaiba nods a jaded goodbye. He's so convinced he needs just one more duel. The man is simply unable or unwilling to accept he will never beat the Pharaoh.

Seto takes matters into his own hands. More than he already has by cheating death. As he passes the millennium puzzle on display on his way out, he reaches a hand to grab it. Once firmly between his fingers, he bolts running faster than Atem has ever seen before.

The artifact doesn't have any use anymore. He knows Yugi will more than likely join his slice of the afterlife no matter what happens. It's a matter of patience. Despite his sentimentality for the item, Atem merely raises an eyebrow at Kaiba's antics. Surely Seto realizes Atem’s soul isn't bound to the puzzle anymore, right?

As fast as he came into the afterlife, Seto leaves it. He returns to the land of the living in a fragmented sea of electric blue. As soon as he lands one foot on solid ground, the puzzle in his hands shatters into pieces. Each piece clatters to the ground with a musical 'tink'.

As he goes to collect the pieces, he's interrupted. Mokuba hugs him. "Seto! You made it!"

"Of course I did." Seto's stone cold facade fades for his little brother. As far as Mokuba knows, Seto could have died in the Pharaoh's afterlife. He hugs the younger siblings back tight.

Mokuba pulls back from the hug. He looks down at the mess of glittering gold pieces. "Is that?-"

"It's the millennium puzzle."