Chapter Two: Cats! A Gods Best Friend

It’s a cold foggy morning when Steven rolls out of bed. He trips over the chain on his foot. He knows by now it isn’t going to stop Marc from taking the wheel in his sleep, but it at least makes it harder for him to wake up in the middle of a fight. Not that he has to worry about that anymore. That was the deal.

He drags a lazy hand down his chin, not fond of the stubble. Steven looks in the mirror with his razor in hand. He puts the razor to his face, but the reflection doesn't follow. "Oi, Marc, move your head. I'm tryna shave."

"We really need to talk"

"Not at this hour. We don't." Marc always has the worst timing. Whatever it is, if it's not currently chasing him, can wait until after work. Besides, it's just him and Marc against the world now. He dregs through his morning routine, walking out the door and clocking into work early. For once.

Rubbing his eyes and opening the doors to the ivory building. A cat slips in through his feet. Steven skids on the floor in a lacking attempt to chase after it. It weaves around corners and through the legs of statues faster than the man can follow. He sighs and goes to put on his apron and start unpacking stock. The silly Egyptian bobble heads rattle in his hands as he places them on the shelf.

His manager approaches from behind with crossed arms. "Did you let that cat in?"

"Sneaky little thing, innit?"

"Stevie-"

"Steven."

"For the love of God, just get the cat. Some of us have allergies."

"Aight, aight, I'm on it." He puts his hands up in defeat.

"And make it quick."

He sighs and heads into the Egyptian wing. It’s ironic. If any place in the museum should allow cats, it should be the Egyptian wing. Because Egyptians used to worship cats, or at the very least respect them as they would a god's pet. The ivory pillars reach up to the ceiling. Standing in the center of the wing is the cat, a mixed stray, licking its paws out in the open.

“Awe, you’re a cute lil’ bugger. C’mere kitty-kitty.” Steven coos as he slowly makes his approach. The cat rolls over, showing its stomach. He pounces, scooping the stray up. “Gotcha.”

He takes the cat outside and gently puts it on the ground as if it were a dog. Steven jokingly tells the cat to “Say hello to Bastet for me.” He turns around and heads back inside, only for the cat to slip in through his feet again. “Oh, dear.”

“Just what in the world are you doing, Stevie?”

“I got it out”

“And it came back in. That’s a net zero cats removed you donut.” his supervisor sighs.

He looks over his shoulder as the first visitor of the morning passes by. An Asian man with a bleach blonde mullet. He turns around with a wide smile, keeping his eye on the door. He looks more interested in the entrance than the exhibits. "Hey uh," the man squints at the employee's name tag, "Steve?"

"It's Steven."

"Yeah, Steven, sorry. You seen a Lil guy around here? Spiky hair." His accent is distinctly American. Brooklyn? Steven doesn't know for sure.

Steven shakes his head no. "You're the first guest this morning-"

Their conversation is cut short by the sound of punk combat boots on the tile and an enthusiastic shout. "Jou!"

The stranger hugs the man. They're both wide eyed and excited, spinning around like dorks. They say a few words in what sounds like Japanese. Steven doesn't know, he's not an expert in linguistics. "How've you been? It's been ages."