Chapter Four: Not The Pharoah

[Notes:
A brief explanation as to what the deal with Yami is: This story is running on the idea that the spirit we see in the Toei animated season zero of Yu-Gi-Oh is a different spirit than the one we see in Duel Monsters. This stems from the core differences in the way each series treated the spirits powers, effect on Yugi, and personality.

The spirit in Duel Monsters is Atem. He was generally forgiving, primarily focused on Duel Monsters, not especially magical, could switch out with Yugi at will, talk to Yugi in his head and Yugi could see what Atem was doing while fronting if he so chooses.

The spirit from Season Zero/King of Games is Yami. Yami never got an official name and was usually called 'The Other Yugi' if the bystanders could be bothered to even make that distinction. Yami plays a variety of games designed to leverage a character flaw of his opponent as a means of testing their character and punishing them for breaking the rules. Yugi faints whenever Yami takes over and has no recollection of what Yami does while in control, meanwhile Yami seems to know everything Yugi does when he's not active. Yami has also been known to take the wheel when Yugi is knocked unconscious. Yami has some form of luck manipulation and a set of honestly terrifying powers. He set people on fire, turned a guy into a clock, subjected cheaters to illusions of mental torment, and a whole array of other horrifying things. Yami couldn't talk to Yugi directly with the only exception being when Yugi's soul was separated from the body.

I won't explain too much of their dynamic just know that Yami was aware of Atem but Atem was not aware of Yami.]

Yami dives out the second-floor window while Marc is knocked prone. His landing roll is sloppy but gets the job done. He sprints down the street as fast as he can in an effort to appear to Marc as though he's disappeared into thin air. He quickly grows short on breath and finds a pain in his side. Of course Yugi is out of shape. Again. The exhaustion seeps into his bones.

Mortal bodies are the worst. They're also the best. But still very much a pain. He puts his hands on his knees leaning forward to cough some air back into his lungs. A bright white cat rubs against his ankles. "Is your joke funny yet Bastet?"

"You're not the pharaoh." Another cat speaks down at Yami from the rooftops. The cat is larger than even a mainecoon. Lion sized, bipedal and draped in a veil.

"I'm aware."

"So what is it you think you're doing with his body?" The cat hisses. It's beastly form glowing with power unknown. "Letting Khonshu's avatar touch him like that."

"I'm as lost as you are." Yami takes a deep breath, closing his eyes. "Hurting Yugi was never my intent."

"Intent does not change the outcome."

"His body is intoxicated. Jake felt safe to me. I don't know what came over me. I couldn't." Yami looks to his feet in shame. His eyes blurring with the threat of tears. He should've done better. "I doubt Yugi would've fared any better."

"Were you the one drinking?"

Yami shakes his head no. He knows he could've if he hadn't been so soft. It's not his job to feel or desire. Too selfish. Too greedy. Too human.

Bastet’s expression softens. "You've never been drunk before, have you?"

"No." He should've resisted, done more to stay cold.

"I see. You did the best you could with the hand you were dealt." She hops down from the roof and stands in front of Yami in humanoid form.

"I always do." Yami appreciates the themed metaphors even if this isn't the best situation to hear them.

"I'll forgive you, but you must do me a favor." She lifts Yami's chin up with a clawed finger. "Find yourself someone to keep him safe while he rests. Someone you both trust this time."