Chapter Three: The Farce Begins

It's a normal night for the likes of Jake Lockley. Phasing into consciousness with no recollection of what he was doing, how he got there or why he's dressed like a total knobhead. Where the hell did he park the car? It better not be towed again. He can't imagine he's had it parked at the meter for more than ten minutes.

Jake is vaguely aware of his alters. He knows he has them, but knows very little about them or what they're like. He has the sinking suspicion that they hog more of the shared time than he does by a large margin, but has no means of doing anything about this. He tries not to think about it, as dwelling on his lack of control isn't productive. The cranky old bird is always quick to remind him of this.

Jake walks down dark streets, taking a leisurely jog in search of his car. Four blocks down he spots it cleverly parked in one of the city's few free twenty-four hour parking zones. These are always in awful neighborhoods, hence why it's free. Nobody in their right mind would pay to park here.

An all black stray cat lies on the hood of the white limo. If it were any other color, he wouldn't be able to see it in this lighting. How simultaneously cute and annoying. Jake reaches out, lifting the cat by the scruff. The cat hisses and swats at Jake.

The familiar voice of Khonshu booms from behind Jake. "Put the cat down."

Jake goes to put the cat down on the ground and is stopped once more. "Where you found it."

"Si." Jake huffs, putting the cat back on the hood of the car. He turns around to face the direction of the voice. This seems very counterproductive. He's not one to ask questions. Khonshu likes that about him.

The cat meows and hops off the car, running across the street. It waits at the corner and proceeds to howl in Jake's general direction. Jake grumbles, "Whatddoya want?"

"Follow it."

"We take orders from animals now. Charming." Khonshu says nothing in response. Jake cracks his neck, adjusts his hat and follows the cat on foot. The cat takes him down winding streets to an alleyway. A short man with a ridiculous necklace and gravity defying hair is being followed by hooded men. Jake narrows his eyes and slinks into the shadows.

He summons the suit. Unlike Marc, Jake's suit is a more modern interpretation of the ceremonial armor. Less bulky, more functional, lighter. His gut feeling is confirmed as by the time he has the suit, the two men have the guy unconscious and thrown over a shoulder.

As the protector of travelers in the night, it's the duty of Khonshu's avatar to put a stop to things like this. He summons his blades first, going for the one not holding the innocent person as to avoid collateral damage. It's easier to more care into saving the guy without having to defend himself from the buddy. He stabs the goon through the chest from behind and kicks him off the blade. Where there should be blood, instead is sand, blowing away in the wind. A few more solid blows from the blades and sand is all that's left of the man.

Jake looks down at the sand pile, giving it a curious kick with his foot. This distraction makes itself brief as Jake hones in on the sound of the other jerk running away with the victim. Jake turns around, bolting after him in a full on sprint.

The man seems to stir awake and recognize his position, shifting his weight in an attempt to knock his captor over. They both go tumbling to the ground, the cloaked figure on top pinning the innocent to the ground. The smaller man kicks the assailant in the crotch, barely managing to skitter out from under him.

Jake stabs the attacker from behind, missing the stranger by only an inch as the blade protrudes out the man's front. The man turns to a pile of sand with a hardy jiggle of the weapon.