F i v e

Winter was fast approaching. The railroad tracks were covered with frost, but that didn't stop the two from coming.

"You know what?" she asked, breaking the silence.

"What?"

"We've 'known' each other for awhile-"

"I wouldn't say we know each other but carry on," he interrupted, still staring at the sky.

"As I was saying. We've been acquaintances for quite sometime and we don't even know each other's names."

The boy sighed, closing his eyes. "What's the fun of knowing names? We always have to be called by something- be someone. Can't we be nothing here? Two nothings here sitting on the train tracks waiting for life to pass us by."

She rolled her eyes, turning towards him. She could play his little game too. "Well this nothing wants to be a something to you. Can't we be somethings to each other but nothings to the rest of the world?"

It was quiet for a long moment, the boy sighed letting a frost of cool air come out of his mouth. The blue-eyed boy grudgingly accepted defeat.

"Fine," he said, standing up.

Lacey smiled, quickly following suit.

The boy extended his hand," Hello my name is Danny. Danny Hanson."

Lacey shook his hand, nonplussed by his slightly mocking tone. "Hi Danny, my name is Lacey. Lacey Smith."

For a long minute, they just stared at each other, hands still clasped between them. It seemed wrong to speak. The two didn't let go of their hands.

Lacey stared into Danny bright blue eyes.

Danny checked out Lacey dark skin. The two stood there for a while until they began to feel the cold.

Lacey was the first to let go. She gave Danny a parting smile before turning on her heel and walking away.

Just before she walked out of earshot, she called out, "I guess its time to go back into being nothing."

{Please Vote and Comment!}