Strangers Again - ii

Natasha sat on the medbay bed, her wounds tended to by Dr. Cho, but her mind consumed by dark thoughts. The events of the battle replayed in her mind, each moment fueling her fears and doubts. She felt a heaviness in her chest, the weight of responsibility and the desire to protect you from the dangers that lurked in her world.

Cho finished dressing Natasha's wounds, her voice gentle as she spoke. "You're all set, Natasha. Just take it easy for a while, alright?"

The redhead nodded absentmindedly, her eyes fixed on a distant point. She was lost in her own thoughts, unable to shake off the weight of her concerns.

Clint, ever observant, approached her cautiously. "Nat, you seem lost in your thoughts. What's troubling you?"

Natasha sighed, her gaze distant. "Clint, there's always a threat. No matter how much we try to protect those we care about, they become targets. I can't bear the thought of putting Y/n in danger."

The archer furrowed his brow, searching for the right words. "Nat, you can't make that decision for Y/n. She deserves to know what's going on and make her own choices."

A shadow of pain crossed her face. "I know. But I can't risk her life for my happiness. If I end things now, she'll be safe. It's the only way."

Clint's eyes filled with concern as he sat down next to his bestfriend. "Love is never without risks. But shutting someone out completely isn't the answer. Y/n deserves to know the truth, and she deserves the chance to make her own choices. Don't deny her that."

The Russian's shoulders slumped, the weight of her decision heavy upon her. "You don't understand. I met Y/n, and we fell in love. She brings me so much happiness, but it terrifies me to think that I could lose her. I have to end things before it's too late."

Clint sighed, his gaze steady and understanding. "Nat, think this through. Y/n knows what she's signing up for. She's chosen to be with you, knowing the risks. Don't deny yourself the chance at happiness because of what-ifs."

Natasha's green eyes welled with unshed tears, torn between her love for you and her fear for your safety. "I can't bear the thought of losing her. It's better this way. For both of us."

Clint reached out, his hand gently squeezing Natasha's shoulder. "I can't change your mind, but remember that love is worth fighting for. You deserve happiness too, Nat."

As Natasha grappled with her decision, her heart heavy with conflicting emotions, she couldn't help but wonder if she was making the right choice. But in her mind, protecting you from the dangers that consumed her life took precedence over her own happiness.

----------

You sat in their Budapest apartment, anxiously watching the news, the events in New York weighing heavily on your mind. Every passing second felt like an eternity as you waited for Natasha's call, hoping to hear her voice and find solace in her safety.

Finally, the phone rang, and your heart skipped a beat. You quickly answered, your voice filled with concern. "Tasha, baby, are you okay? I've been so worried."

Natasha's voice sounded strained and distant, a hint of sadness lacing her words. "Y/n, we need to talk. It's important."

You brow furrowed, a knot forming in your stomach. "What is it? What's wrong?"

Natasha took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "I've been thinking... Our relationship, it's not sustainable. The dangers I face, the constant threats... I can't bear the thought of putting you in harm's way. It's better if we end things."

Your voice cracked, heart breaking at Natasha's words. "No, Natasha, you can't just end things like this. We can work through it. I love you, and I want to be with you."

Natasha's voice trembled with emotion. "Y/n, I love you too... so much, but this is for the best. I can't bear the thought of losing you. The world needs saving, and I can't have the constant fear of endangering your life."

Tears streamed down your face as you pleaded, your voice filled with desperation. "Natasha, I don't care about the risks. I choose to be with you, no matter what. Please, don't leave me."

Natasha's voice wavered, her own heart torn between love and duty. "I wish it could be different, but I can't change the way things are. It's too dangerous for us to be together. I have to protect you, even if it means breaking both our hearts."

Your grip tightened on the phone, voice shaking with anguish. "Natasha, please reconsider. We can find a way to make it work. I can't imagine my life without you."

Natasha let out a sob, her voice breaking with sorrow. "I'm so sorry, Y/n. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But it's the right decision. Goodbye."

The line went silent, leaving you in a sea of confusion and heartbreak. You held your phone tightly, tears flowing freely as you whispered Natasha's name in disbelief. The pain of losing your greatest love washed over you, leaving a void that seemed impossible to fill.

----------