Chapter 5

Donatello giggles with Casey as they link arms, scurrying through the door and exiting Murokami's together, in secret, ALL ALONE!! The thought makes him queasy in a nice sort of way, but he quickly suppresses that idea. He and Casey had been best friends for years, and they have been through so much together! From the Kraang, to the nightmare that was the Shredder, Casey had always been there; supporting him, and albeit ridiculing him, but it helped him gain the confidence he very much lacked. Besides, Donatello was sure that Casey loved April. They had fought tooth and nail for scraps of attention from her, and it tore their relationship apart before it could even form in the first place. 

Years have passed since then, and their bond is stronger than ever, but Donatello can't shake the sadness that has embedded itself into his very being. He is lonely. He and April made their amends, and are now the best of friends, but he has not since found someone that made him feel the same way that she did. Raphael and Mona are so perfect together that it sometimes hurts Donatellos SOUL watching them be cute and sappy, and Michelangelo has Renet, the time traveller! Only him and Leonardo are left without a romantic partner, but Leonardo has thrived even without a girlfriend (or boyfriend, everyone knows how fruity Leonardo is)! Leonardo has become much more confident and relaxed, and can FINALLY see his family as siblings rather than adopted children.

And that leaves Donatello, with nothing to fill the heart shaped hole in his, well, heart. His thoughts are interrupted by a cautious tap on the shoulder.

"Don, are you ok? You seem kinda out of it?" Casey grimaces sympathetically at his friend, and Donatello shakes his head, as if he was trying to shake the thoughts out of it. The truth is that he is not ok, but how is he supposed to say that hes sad because he is lonely- that sounds pathetic!

"Yeah Jones, I'm fine, I just need some energy." The lie rolls effortlessly off his tongue, and shame pools into his gut as he climbs onto the nearby rooftop; why can't he bring himself to talk to Casey about anything romantic or relationship related? It doesn't make any sense! He shifts his attention back to his friend. They were sitting together comfortably, on the edge of the nearest rooftop, with their feet dangling off the side. Donatello sighs, heaving a deep, grounding breath as he rests his head on Caseys shoulder. He freezes as he feels Caseys shoulders tense up at the contact, but relaxes as he feels Caseys composure melt seconds later. They sit in silence for a few minutes before deciding to grab some energy drinks and head back to the Lair. Moving his head off Caseys shoulder, he nearly winces at the loss of contact, but still pushes himself up from the concrete rooftop and offers Casey a hand.

Soon enough, the pair make it to the nearest grocery store. This trip has become a regular tradition for the two of them, so Donatello doesn't even have to specify what drink he wants (Pink Monster and Redbull of course). He waits impatiently for his friend to return from the store, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Minutes later, he spots the black-haired boy exiting the store with a large bag full of goodies. He watches anxiously as Casey makes his way from the front of the store to the alleyway next to the building Donatello was on.

"I GOT THE GOODS!" Casey grins, sauntering towards the manhole cover that lead towards the lair, knowing that Donatello would be behind him very shortly. As he guessed, Donatellos presence appeared behind him moments later. Donatello moves to hug him from behind, then snags the bag from Caseys unsuspecting arms to inspect the contents, curious on what else he might have bought. Monsters, Redbull, soft drink, vodka, sna- WAIT- VODKA?? He smothers his suprise with a smirk.