A new Island (rewritten)

<Third person POV>

The ocean is deep. You can lose yourself fast just looking at it. The waves tonight were calm and you could barely hear anything. The only thing the ears could pick up where the waves, the wind and the loud humming of the engines. Sailing with a ship across the atlantic could be so beautiful. But no, the engines are loud and refuse to let anyone relax properly and when you look ahead you would always be reminded of work. The many containers stacking in so many colours, yet always looking the same let the job seem dull. Even though most of the crew was asleep their was still live on the bridge. The captain, his navigator and and an assistant. The captain allowed the third to sleep, he was still new after all. The two other however sailed regularly on this route between the USA and Portugal. It looked like it was going to be another regular trip.

<Assistant POV>

Me: "Is it already tomorrow?"

I woke up after a strong light fell into my eyes. Good damn is it bright, if the chair didn't make it uncomfortable enough. The moon wasn't bright enough for such a light, even though it glowed beautiful tonight. Not receiving an answer I turned my head to the side to look out a window. It was still night outside. Are we already there?

Me: "I fought we arrive only tomorrow and not in the middle of the night."

It had to be a lighttower, there was nothing else shining this bright at night out to the sea. I still received no answer. Didn't they hear me? Looking to the captain I could barely make out any features. The only thing I could see was his grey skin and the outlining of a flag on his cheek. It was the portuguese flag. I needed to adjust to the light first to see more. After almost a minute I could finally see properly. God dammit. I definitely was awake now. 

<Captain POV>

I just couldn't believe it. I sailed this route regularly, once a month at least. Never had there been an Island on this route. It wasn't even a small rock in the middle in the ocean. The Island had to be bigger than Gibraltar. But that wasn't the most notable thing. It was the giant tree standing as tall as skyscrapers and shining as bright as the strongest floodlight this ship has. But it looked so beautiful. So, how could anyone miss something like that. I could only stammer my question from astonishment and maybe fear.

Me: A-Are you s-seeing this as w-well?"

My navigator only answered with a low hum of affirmation. I noticed he had checked the coordinates three times already. We were not at all near any landmass. The light of the tree really was beautiful, almost alluring. It looked like an artificial sun was planted years ago on this island. Maybe it wasn't that bad?