The crash

Lisa and I were having an evening coffee in LA. We were discussing how my therapy was going and how I kept getting nightmares with Brad Pitt.

"There's always a baby in it. We were trying when I found out about him and Angelina."

"I remember you were so ready and inspired when Coco was born... did you talk to Court about it?"

"I called her two days ago. And I ran onto Schwimmer last week. Things are getting hard, honey. I'm barely hanging in."

"If there is one person who deserves to be a mother is you."

"Oh, honey, thanks. That means a lot."

I paid the check and got into the car. At some point on the way to my place, a little street girl came running into the way and we hit her.

"OH MY GOD!"

XXXXX

When the little girl woke up, she seemed scared. She was dirty and wore baggy and ripped clothes. She got 4 stitches on her forehead. She passed out because of the crash.

"Hi, honey", I said with a smile.

"What happened?"

"You ran into the street and a car hit you. Are you in pain?"

"No. I... who are you? I... saw you once on TV. I was in a restaurant begging for food and I saw you, but I couldn't see much. The owner got me out of there."

"Sweetie, what's your name?"

"Lilibet. I'm seven. How old are you?"

I kinda laughed.

"Lilibet, where are your parents?"

"I never had a dad. And my mom died 2 months ago."

"How are you still alone? Didn't you ask anyone to call the cops?"

"I was afraid they would put me in jail for stealing."

"Stealing what?"

"Some bread from a bakery."

I started to cry.

"Look. I'm gonna talk to some people. They wanna put you in na orphanage, but I won't let that happen. Do you wanna come home with me? I have dogs..."

"I'd like that."

"Okay..."

XXXX

2 days after, I got temporary custody of Lilibet. They were holding her in a child's facility. Basically a foster home.

Her name was Lilibet Myers and she was born on the streets when her mother was kicked out of the house for getting pregnant at 15. She found her way to drugs and was doing okay until she lost her job. She was in the foster system too, but they lost her after she turned 18. She was raising Lilibet alone, got more addicted and couldn't hold a job.

At least that's the fanciest version of what Lilibet said.

They got evicted. She died from overdose, but Lilibet left her body. She got scared.

I had 2 days to prepare a room and buy her clothes. Courteney helped me a lot with the room decor and organization. She's really Monica Gellar sometimes. Lisa's boy was also 7, and she borrowed me some toys and gave me some advice.

When I went to pick her up, she was clean and had a band-aid on her forehead.

"Hi, gorgeous! Look at you!", I said, petting her blonde hair away from her face. "Are you feeling okay? I have a day full of wonders for us!"

She smiled and gave me a hug.

XXXX

"You wanna cut shorter than that?"

I pretended I was shocked.

She nodded.

"Oh my God, you are gonna be even prettier!"

"Let's do this!"

And my trustful hairdresser chopped her hair off down to her shoulders. It was a grey-blonde and very very thin and straight.

"I love it!"

"Now you don't have any knots left!"

XXXX

"I've always wanted a Barbie, you know?"

"Really? Which one?"

"The dentist one! She comes with a chair!"

"Let's get her then."

At the mall, we also went to the Build A Bear Store, and came out of there with a ballerina bear.

Courteney and Lisa waited for us at home with the kids.

"Girls, this is Lilibet. Lilibet, this is aunt Courteney and aunt Lisa..."

"You have a baby! She's so cute!"

"Hi, Lilibet!", said Julian. "My mom made cookies. Do you want some?"

"Sure!"

And they ran into the kitchen.

I dropped the bags on the floor and Lisa laughed.

"Big schedule today, huh? Have you told the boys?"

"Only LeBlanc. He called me yesterday to ask me about a green smoothie."

"What did you tell him?", asked Court.

"To fuck off. It was theee in the morning. He did that only to piss me off."

"Oh. Totally."

"And I told him I was going to get up early because I was adopting a little girl and he was like... wait, what?"

Lisa and Courtney were laughing, and Coco started to laugh with them.

"Godmama loves you so much, Cocolicious!"

I gave her a kiss on the cheek, and heard some screaming in the kitchen.

All of us went to see what was going on.

"She bit me!"

"What? Why?", I asked, nervous.

"He was eating too fast! I only ate 3!"

Lilibet started to cry.

"Hey, it's not okay to bite, honey", I said, on my knees. "Lilibet, why did you bite him?"

"I'm sorry! I was... I was hungry."

My eyes teared.

"Honey, you don't need to fight over food. Ever. Okay? There's plenty of food here, you don't need to worry. I promise you, you will never be hungry again. Ever ever ever."

"Promise?"

"Of course."

And she hugged me.

"Now apologize to Julian."

"Why?"

"Because it's the right thing to do."

IF YOU GUYS WANT ME TO CONTINUE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW