moving on

I am home.

The words felt weird. Strange even. The place I once considered home was now sending me a huge wave of unfamiliriaty. Five years of being away won't necessarily do that to you. But somehow, a single event could.

I am back.

Guess that statement felt more appropriate this time.

I left my luggage just near the front door and walked towards the old couch I used to take my nap on during my high school years. I gently sat, leaned my back and head, and closed my eyes. I feel the fabric cover under my palms and a sense of nostalgia suddenly hit me.

I opened my eyes right away and my gaze directly landed on the newly changed ceiling.

Don't.

My brain warned as a wave of sadness I'm so familiar with started to resurface.

My phone rang and I was relieved to be interrupted from my own thoughts.

"Sarocha! How come I didn't know you're back already?! I thought you're flight is supposed to be tomorrow?!"

I flinched a little and removed the phone from my ears. A smile sneaking on my face as I turned on the loudspeaker instead.

"I would definitely charge you my medical expense for damaging my ears."

I heard her laugh on the other line and I can clearly imagine her facial expression. I definitely miss this one.

"Whatever! Anyway, since you're already here, you're required to attend my bridal shower, okay? I'll message you the details after this."

"Aren't bridal showers supposed to be a surprise for the bride-to-be?"

"Except me, of course! I'm more excited for tonight than the actual wedding."

"You are crazy." I laughed and the sadness I felt earlier was completely dissolved.

"Always will be."

And with that she hung up. She shoot me two messages right away and my heart suddenly missed a beat on the last one.

"Don't be late. She will be there."

.....

I was early. I should've known.

There's no one here besides me and few of the staffs double checking the entire vicinity. I looked around and appreciate the place. It was situated on a rooftop with a perfect view of the city lights. There was a bar counter on the corner, a lounge adjacent to it, a pool in the middle, and a jacuzzi on the other side. It was a romantic place for a bridal shower.

I laughed at myself for expecting a red room with macho dancers. It was Nam's bridal shower after all. Anyway, this venue was honestly the best idea.

"Always the early bird, eh?"

My body responded even before my head could grasp it. I have known that voice very well and I don't think I will ever forget how it sounded.

I turned around and for the first time in five years I saw her again. She stood there in a white dress, her hair was cut short - enough to just touch her shoulders; she wore a light make-up, and her smile stood out the most, as always.

"Hey, you."

"Hey, you."

We both spoke at the same time which made us chuckle at the same time as well. I never expected this meeting to feel this warm. I never expected her to give me the same genuine smile she always gives me.