PREFACE

OOTP

Wanda

Four spells came hissing our way from behind, missiles amongst a room of chaos. I blocked them - barely - shielding Harry and Sirius from their vulnerable angle. My head was pounding, my heart throbbing, and something was coming, somebody's mind was circling us. 

The shield dissolved as I dropped my hands, listening as whispers taunted me from amongst the frenzied flashing of the duels around us. My back pressed against Harry's, our frantic breathing in sync.

"...traitor..."  whispered the mind, "...kill the traitor..."

A loud snap had me spinning around, but I was too slow - far too slow-

"Avada Kedavra!"

I watched in slow motion as the curse smacked into Sirius' chest and dissipated over his body like a tidal wave. The scream that left my mouth was belated and strangled; the curve of magic I'd flung out just a split-second too late hit the head of the arch and came streaking back towards us, burrowing through the stone floor like a torpedo.

"What- where'd he- no-" Harry spluttered, staggering unsteadily on his feet. The room had gone eerily quiet but the only thing I could see was Harry - Harry and the arch and the empty space where Sirius had been. "WHERE'D HE GO?" he yelled, looking around as if it might make someone answer him.

There was hair sticking to the blood on my face and I could do nothing but stare at that spot, my shoulders sagging, my legs feeling weak as a stunned cold washed over me. 

"Wanda?" Harry said, grabbing my arm and tugging it. "Wanda, where'd he go? WANDA?"

I was scared to breathe - scared to talk - was he gone? Was he really gone? 

"WANDA, CAN YOU HEAR HIS MIND?!" 

I sobbed in answer, my hand covering my mouth. I could no longer look at him.

I was still exhaling the same breath when the realisation sunk in and the boy gasped for breath, whispering as he leant on his knees.

"Harry - I-I'm so s-sorry-" I stammered, grief and guilt weighing in on me like being submerged under water.

"No," he was mumbling, "No, he can't be- he can't be-" he raised his head and took in the people in the room, a grief-sodden sob escaping as he saw with clear eyes who wasn't. "NOOOOOO!" he howled, leaping for the arch, tears streaming down his cheeks. "NO! NO! NO!"

 Darkness enveloped the room like a disease as Lupin sprinted for Harry, catching him by the hood of his jacket. "Harry, Harry - he's gone- there's nothing we can do-" Lupin was breathing in his ear, straining to hold him back. "Harry! Harry, please-!"

"SIRIUS!" He sobbed over Lupin, crumpling against the belt-hold around his stomach. He was breathing through his teeth, panting in anguish. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

It was all it took for me to be on my knees, hugging myself to keep from breaking. Tears ran down my cheeks and I tasted their tang of salt in my mouth... I'm sorry, Sirius. I'm sorry, Harry.

<<>>