Arguments After Quidditch

<13>

Wanda

The air is frigid with cold and I'd shiver if I had a body to shake or teeth to chatter. 

...rubble and debris, hurricanes of thick, black smoke...

I'd be crying if I had eyes to look with - I'd be bleeding if I had hands to feel with. 

Fire - fire - fire.

I would be screaming if I had a mouth to open. I'd be running if I had legs to move with.

...broken cars and twisted scraps of metal, long abandoned shops...

 "It's okay, we'll move somewhere else soon."

I see her standing there.

Tall, pale, familiar.

She looks more gaunt and much slighter than in life. Her hair is far longer, thinner, darker... her cheeks have lost their colour, her body has lost its warmth...

But her eyes... her eyes have not lost their sparkle - their glitter no matter what. Green - so green. Bright, ethereal... fictitious.

Fire - fire - fire. Gunshots. Explosions. 

Her skin is porcelain, her hands are small and gentle. She is a beautiful wraith amongst a world of rotting pieces.

"Don't hold me here," she says, "Let me go, love." 

Let you- let her go.

Fire - fire - fire.

<<>>

Tonight I hit every single target with perfect accuracy.

The main reason for this being that I'm alone. With no Snape taunting the anger into my veins, my head is clear, my objective straightforward. I don't have to jump the hoops of provocation or leap the hurdles of his many snide comments and for once, when I leave the room of requirement, the only thing I feel is tired from working so hard.

My breathing is slightly laboured as I push the door open and slip into the darkened corridor. I tread quietly as I head for the stairs, it's extremely dark again and the torches are out - I wonder if Peeves has been round extinguishing the lights.

"... fix it..." speaks a voice, "... I have to fix it..."

My foot pauses before it hits the bottom step. I lower it back to the floor, my heart suddenly pounding as my eyes strain through the darkness. There is somebody there again. Somebody hiding under the blanket of shadows draped across the corridor – they're worried – why? But as I stretch my power out to hear more, I feel my head begin to ache.

It's so quiet it's almost not there... a soft, soft whisper of worry, drifting out from a crack in someone's mental shield.

I want to delve into the darkness and find them – the glitter of magic in my head is intrigued by them, it wants to meet them, it... likes? them.

I'm about to speak when a familiar voice bellows from the top floor, "Shut your mouth!" Ron screams, and somebody yells back, the voice furious.

"No, I will not!"

My feet can't find the next step fast enough, I race up the stairs, grasping the banisters to propel myself forwards. Their argument fills the corridor, echoing off of every stone wall – it's lighter up here and I pick up my feet as I spot them near the common room entrance.