one | combat, i'm ready for combat

1996

hannah was woken up with a start. her sister, vanessa palmer, was standing over her with a glass of water.

"jesus, van! what is your problem?", she asked.

"it's time for school. mom is going to beat our asses if we don't leave on time.", van explained, "i was also going to pour this on you if you didn't get up."

hannah groaned and got out of bed. she picked out an outfit for the day and grabbed all of her stuff. she walked out of her room and saw her mom laying on the couch, asleep, again. van was cooking eggos for herself and hannah.

"you know i can do this myself.", hannah grumbled.

"yeah but isn't it so nice that you have a sister that loves you so much and loves making you breakfast?", van joked.

the two girls laughed at each other and hannah was handed a eggo by her sister. the two girls left the house with a good bye to their mother, who was still asleep. van hopped in the front seat with hannah in the passenger seat. hannah turned the radio on and "Don't Speak" by No Doubt came on.

"oh my god, i love this song!", hannah exclaimed.

hannah sang as van kept her eyes on the road.

~~~~~~~

van pulled up to her parking spot and the two girls got out. taissa turner ran up to van and pulled her into a hug. tai has always been super sweet towards hannah. the two girls bonded over their shared love for van so they became close

"i'm so glad you're here. shauna and jackie are fighting and being unbearable, again.", tai noted.

"i can break it up again. i'm used to it at this point.", hannah said with a sigh.

van and tai looked at each other and then looked back at hannah.

"why are you two looking at me like that?", hannah asked.

"because you're risking your life to break those two girls apart. they keep fighting to no end. you can try but it's not going to do you any good.", tai explained.

"leave me be, tai. i don't need you to protect me as much as van already does.", hannah snapped.

hannah stormed off leaving tai and van behind her. she entered the school and went to find jackie and shauna.

~~~~~~~

2021

"okay, who wants to share their free writes?", hannah asked her students.

once again, no hands raised. day after day, hannah risks her life walking into the building that took her whole life away. as much as it pains her, she enjoys doing what she does. she loves her students more than anything. she doesn't miss any of what she left behind.

"alright, since no one wants to share, you're welcome to pack up your stuff and get ready to go. we'll resume sharing on monday! no exceptions.", hannah demanded.

her class groaned but she laughed. "calm down you guys, it'll be fine."

the bell rang and her students left. except one stayed. callie sadecki.

"hey, callie. what's up?", hannah asked.

"i need you to know something.", the girl began to explain.

hannah took notice. she sat up and changed her position.

"my mom is coming by. i told her that you didn't want to talk to her cause i know about all of that yellowjackets stuff and whatever but still. just be prepared.", callie explained.

hannah took a deep breath. she hasn't talked to shauna in years and she didn't want to but apparently she had to.

"alright, thanks for letting me know, callie. have a good weekend.", hannah replied.

callie left and hannah began to pack up her stuff. that's when there was a knock at the door. it opened slowly and hannah heard a familiar voice.

"hannah? it's shauna. is it alright if i come in?", shauna asked.

hannah turned around and looked at her. the two girls haven't locked eyes since jeff and shauna got married. hannah felt weak in the knees over the look shauna was giving her.

"yeah...that's fine, just sit down.", hannah stated.

shauna took quickly to hannah's words and sat down. hannah sat down in the seat behind her desk and looked at shauna.

"what the hell do you want, shauna? we haven't talked in, i don't know, years? why are you here now?", she asked.

shauna kept hold of her purse close to her chest. she took a deep breath and spoke to hannah.

"we need your help.", she said.

"what do you mean 'we need your help?' you've never needed my help. you've done fine here without me.", hannah replied back.

"it's all of us. apparently, lottie has some sort of fucking cult farm shit and she called all of us down there. i knew you wouldn't come if she asked so i'm here now. we need you...i need you. please, hannah.", shauna explained.

hannah sighed. "is van coming? i'm not going if she isn't going."

"i think tai is going to go get her. lottie thought it would be best."

"so now we're all back to following lottie's fucking delusions? she's psychotic, shauna! she was sent to fucking switzerland because she's insane!", hannah stood up and exclaimed.

shauna stood up along with her. "she's not that bad anymore! nat and misty are already there keeping an eye on her! she's fine, hannah!"

"oh my god, we're back to the wilderness, aren't we? following behind lottie like she's some fucking deity. i'm not gonna stand for it. i'm not going shauna, end of fucking story.", hannah demanded.

hannah grabbed her stuff and began to storm out of her classroom when shauna took her wrist and pulled her back.

"stop, hannah! just come with me, please! that's all we need. we need to...fix lottie, again.", shauna said.

hannah sighed. "fine, but after that, i'm out of there and i'm done with you and the fucking yellowjackets. okay?"

shauna nodded and the two women left with hannah questioning why she's going anywhere with shauna.

~~~~~~~

a/n:

finished the first chapter!! i'm super excited to keep this story going. i've stopped A LOT of them but my yellowjackets era might be eternal who knows.

whoever can name the taylor swift song that the title was based after gets a shoutout or smth idk i haven't decided yet.

anyways, hope you keep with me on this one!!

clio <3