Chapter 1: Just a Lonely Poet

(A/n: This story takes inspiration from the singer male reader story written by Rugged_Noodle so go check out his story if you haven't already)

(Y/n's pov)

I waited in the bathroom for a few minutes after school ended, waited for everyone to leave so I could have my peace and quiet until the school kicked me out. As I left the stall I was hiding in I stared at my reflection in the mirror, focusing on the scar over my right eye. Running my fingers over the old wound, I wince remembering how I got it, before finally leaving into the hallway.

I walk in silence as I make my way to the school library, the quietest part of the school. I look out the windows on the way there and see a few students still hanging out in the field and sigh in annoyance. Sometimes I wish I had more than one friend to spend time with, sometimes I'm content with the idiot that has my back. But there's one thing that remains constant at all times: I am alone, and I always will be.

I was so concentrated on my thoughts that I hadn't realized I was entering the library. The only thing bringing me back to the real world was the chattering of four girls, who all went silent as I entered the room. I feel four different sets of eyes on me and wish I could turn invisible. After a few seconds, they turn their attention back to each other.

"So anyway, after that he had the nerve to message me like nothing had happened!" The one with tanned skin and short blonde hair. I tune out their gossiping and walk over the table furthest to the back, where hopefully nobody will be. I sit down and open my bag and solemnly sigh as I look at the first poem my hand touches, no matter where I go, I'll never escape the memories.

Tossing the poem aside, I dig through the near endless amount of papers in my bag before picking out the song I'd been working on for the past month. I can still hear those girls talking but it's all just white noise at this point. I let out a sigh as I continued writing. "I wish Barker was here…" I whisper to myself as I continue my latest song.

'Break bread with the beggars and thieves…'

'Highhorse your way to your knees…'

I mumble some of my lyrics to myself as I write. Suddenly a pair of footsteps starts creeping up behind me. Fearing it's another bully I slowly inch my hand towards the pouch in my bag that's hiding my pocket knife. I look to see one of the girls walking my way, her eyes trained on the books. I lower my guard slightly, but keep my eye on her just to be safe.

And then I realize too late that my hand is still moving to my bag, and it falls to the ground, spilling my papers across the floor. The blonde girl noticed and picked up a handful of my writings before I could react. And a smile creeps onto her face as she reads God knows what off those pages.

"Oh my gosh. Hey! Come look at this!" She says calling her friends over. "What is it, Sakura?" The blonde with pigtails asks as she and the girl with orange hair come over, followed by the shorter girl with tanned skin and straight, black hair. Each of them grabs a stack of papers and laughs as they read them, mocking my work. "But seriously, some of this could be good with the right singer." The tanned blonde says, "No way, not even Razor Tongue could make this garbage sound good!" The orange haired girl replies. Then the black haired girl grabs a handful of papers, her expression unchanging.

Soon enough three of them grab their bags, saying they were going to a diner down near the station. "Hey Hayase! You coming?" The orange haired girl asks the black haired girl, who's expression still hasn't changed. "You go on ahead. I'll catch up." The tanned girl says.

"What? Is this your type?" The orange haired girl asks as she and the other two leave. I keep my head low and continue staring at my bag, ready to pounce for my knife if I need to. Suddenly, I hear the sound of rustling paper and someone sitting down. I look to the sound and see the girl sitting across from me, her amber-maroon eyes staring into my soul. "I am a first year," she begins, "and you are a second year. Correct?" She asks me.

I take a second to collect myself, putting on a calm face and looking back at her, "Correct." I answer, hiding my fear. "Nice. That makes you my senpai." She says as she gives me a mischievous grin. I don't like the way she's looking at me, but I keep calm. She suddenly throws the stack of papers she was holding onto the desk, a collection of my songs and poems spreading out before me. But something catches my eye about them. All of the writings she was holding were about love and revenge.

Then she holds up the poem I tossed aside earlier, Deceitful Wisper, "You know you spelled 'Whisper' wrong." She says, getting on my nerves slightly as I'm once more reminded of the person who caused me so much pain. "I did?" I respond, not giving her any signs of what I might be thinking of. "Yeah. You forgot the H. Both times." She says bluntly. I look at the page before acting as though it was a mistake. "Ah. So I did. I'll correct it later." I say to her, still trying to act like her presence wasn't making me nervous.

Then that devious grin appears on her face again. "Are you trying to seem cool or something? Or are you just that nervous about my presence?" She asks, catching me off guard. "W-What?" I stutter, confirming her thoughts. Oh shit… I think to myself. "I knew it." She says with a small chuckle. Before I knew it she was sitting right next to me. "You've never interacted with a girl in your life!" She shouts as she leans closer to me, causing me to get up from my chair. As I'm walking away, she's suddenly in front me.

"Where ya going, Senpai?" She says with her devious grin. I instinctively back away from her until the wall prevents me from escaping further. She steps closer, getting in my face again. No matter where I look she moves so that I'm looking directly at her. Finally after forcing me to look at her enough times, she finally speaks up again. "Oh I get it!" She says. "You're not just some pathetic virgin. You're a total creep! Aren't you?" She says, causing me to panic. "W-What?! N-No… I'm not…" I stutter, backing away from the girl. She corners me against the bookshelf. "I can tell you are. I can see it in your eyes!" She says as her eyes dilate into different sizes. "I-I'm not…" was all I could push out as I mentally kicked myself for sending Barker home without me. My vision starts to blur slightly as the girl's grin turns into a full psychotic smile. "Are you crying!?" She shouts, sounding very amused by my misery. "I-I'm n-not a creep…" I say quietly. I feel a tear rolling down my cheek, as she pulls out a handkerchief and slowly begins raising it to my face. She gently wipes the tears from face as the stress begins to make me feel sick. "P-P-Please… leave me… alone…" I barely manage to say.

After another minute the girl finally let me go, picking up my papers and setting them on the desk next to my bag, as I just sat at the table with the handkerchief she had sitting in front of me. "Hey." She says. I don't look at her, merely keeping my eyes on my bag, "Keep that. And sorry for messing with you." She says calmly before walking away like she didn't just nearly invoke a panic attack. I silently put the handkerchief in my bag and pull out a small box meant for cards. Tucking the box in my pockets, I leave the library, my chance at quietly writing now gone.

Once outside I pull the card box again, opening it this time and pulling a cigarette out of it. Next I pull out the old zippo lighter I always carry out and look at the writing I scratched into it. Feeling another tear well up in my eye, I light my cigarette and start walking home. And praying to any God that'll listen, that I never see that girl again.