20. Whiplash

Violet's mother jumps onto Violet's bed with a grin causing Violet to crash back into reality and away from the wonderful world of her book

Violet's mother jumps onto Violet's bed with a grin causing Violet to crash back into reality and away from the wonderful world of her book. She sets a bookmark in between the pages and shuts the book before meeting her mother's happy eyes which light up when she speaks. "I have a wonderful plan."

Violet's head tilts with amusement at how excited the women sounds. "And what is this wonderful plan?"

"So I've been thinking, it's been a while since we hung out. Just the two of us." She pauses and Violet nods showing that she is listening. "I've been shopping today and I bought all of our favourite snacks so we should build a pillow fort and watch Disney movies all night long while eating goodies."

A small laugh falls out of Violet. "Mom, I'm not a little kid anymore." Rochelle nods and responds with a smile. "Yes, I know but you'll always be my little girl." She reaches out and cups Violet's cheeks. "Always."

Violet looks into her mother's eyes and feels her love wrap around her and hold her in a comforting embrace and without a thought, she asks. "Can we watch Tangled first?"

"Of course, we can," Rochelle answers and so Violet jumps up from her bed with her mother's hand in hers and runs down to the living room to set up the best pillow fort they have ever created together.

Rochelle could still remember clearly the day that little Violet tugged on her dress and looked up at her with big brown eyes and dressed in a Rapunzel costume, begging her to take her to watch Tangled for the third time and Rochelle just couldn't say no to her so they both went with Stiles tagging along dressed up as Flynn Rider. It was the cutest thing that Rochelle had ever seen when Stiles and Violet stood together and Stiles kissed her cheek for a photo.

That same exact photo is what Rochelle looks at as soon as she gets to the living room but before she can get teary by how much her daughter has grown, she is getting pulled further in the room and she begins to move things around. Eventually, a perfect fort stands in front of her and Violet and the snacks are laid out perfectly.

They both sit and play the movie and when the songs begin, they don't waste anytime in singing along and laughing as they both get up and dance around. They go through several movies and each one makes the night better. Violet places her eyes on her mother and smiles as she remembers that whatever happens in the future whether it's good or bad, her mother will always be there for her and she is so grateful to have her by her side.

By the time the fourth one ends and the snacks are almost empty, Rochelle is asleep and Violet is placing a soft blanket over her body before pressing a kiss to the crown of Rochelle's head. While she takes the food back to the kitchen to pack them away, she hears the front door open and shut before fast footsteps are heard which makes Violet's body stiffen as her ears perk for more noise.

She knows that her father and brother are already home and she wasn't expecting anybody to show so she has no idea who it is and that thought makes her heart rate pick up. She reaches for a sharp knife and takes small quiet steps toward the noise but as she holds the knife up for protection, a body runs out from the corner and bumps straight into her causing her to hit the ground.