Chapter 5: Someone else?

Phew.

You could practically feel your heart hammering restlessly in your chest, you were getting dizzy with your unsteady breathing so you started to inhale then exhale slowly with control, hoping to light up the haziness that had started to cloud your vision. Your movements felt awkward, your limbs suddenly feeling heavy after the rush of adrenaline from earlier left your body too soon for your liking. Now, you're left feeling anxious and scared of the future. Even though you are at least out of the three's grasp for the moment, you'll still be risking your life as long as you are in school, which is where all the love interests would be in one place.

You were surprised to see that you could actually outran the three as they were all extremely athletic, but you thank the universe for the automatic school gate to magically close in in the right seconds between you and their group, giving you a chance to figure out how to 'redeem' yourself after Mayu made it looked like she was crying because of you.

Your hands still gripped hers tightly, guiding her through the hallway as she quietly sobs. The bell had rang and the students had gone in their respectful classroom for the first period, but even as they all appeared to sit quietly in their seat and listening to the lesson, you could feel eyes on you as you drag Mayu along. It it clear that Mayu's charm not only works towards the known demon slayer characters, but also most of the male population in school.

A role model student might've rushed to class and apologized to the teacher for being late, but you said 'fuck it, I'm already late anyway.'

"Y-Yui.. W-Where are we going...?"

"Here," You said, as you slid opened the door that had an 'infirmary' wrote out in a silver plate atop of the door, "There's no way you could go to class in... That state."

'And there's no way I'll be able to see another day if they saw me standing beside you while you're looking like this...' You thought, feeling like crying yourself.

You let Mayu sit on one of the beds as you scan her. Her eyes were glassy with tears, somehow making it looking more bigger and adoring. Her cheeks that were naturally flushed on normal basis was now even more redder, and her lips that quiver as she tries to hold in a sob were looking more plump now than before.

Ladies and gentleman- The lead girl of the game.

You grabbed a few tissue as you gently start to dab her cheeks, wiping the tears away. Yui might've been Mayu's bestfriend, but right now you couln't recall any memories from Yui's body on topics the two would have normally casually chatter away. And so, the room was filled with an uncomfortable silence as you continue to dry her tears. Mayu sensing the sudden awkward atmosphere, couldn't handle it and looked away from your eyes.

You panicked. "I-I-It was one adventurous morning don't you think so???" You said suddenly reminded that you had to secure your position as her bestfriend therefore trying to lighten up the room, "Oh-h! I didn't mean what I said to Tanjirou y'know!!! It was just an inside joke between us haha and I definitely wasn't saying that he was cheating on me with you!! No way right?!! It's ridiculous!! That wouldn't happen.."

Mayu lowered her head, her eyes beginning to fill up with tears again.

"NOOO! I mean.. I mean! Even if the day comes where he suddenly confessed his feelings to you and decided to leave me for you, It'll be okay!! It's kinda problematic tho.. but, I mean, that's what pals are for right? Yes yes and I'll definitely be happy as long as you are happy, Mayu!" You flashed your teeth, attempting to make it looked like a playful grin but you know damn well it didn't work because Mayu burried her face to her palm and sobbed more loudly.

"I'm sorry, Yui..." She said, finally looking up after a full 5-minute breakdown. "It's not that. I know I did something wrong, I stuck on Tanjirou's side almost all the time that people made rumours about he dump you and chose to be with me instead.."