7. I Fought The Law

Peter arrived at the station with Sonya around two in the afternoon. Jacob had volunteered to watch the girls while they took care of the situation with Nathan and the van. Since the car was in Sonya's name, she decided to take care of that while Peter took care of his son. Divide and conquer was always her favorite move, and Peter couldn't argue with past results. They strolled into the station and could hear the lady at the reception desk call out to him as he strolled closer.

     "Mr. Anderlini," she called out, "What a pleasant surprise!"

     "I wish it were under better circumstances, but it's nice to see you again," Peter admitted as he arrived. "Is Ray still in?"

     "Right over there, taking a nap." She replied while making a gesture towards his office. "He always sleeps before lunch after doing the night shift."

     Peter wandered over to Ray's office, and the big man was lying down in his office chair with his feet up on his desk. He had a big cowboy hat that he never wore but only used it to cover his eyes whenever he wanted to catch a nap in the office. He looked like a cowboy that was catching a siesta under a tree in the afternoon. Peter softly knocked on the door.

     "Hey there, space cowboy," Pete called out, "How goes the crime fighting?"

     Ray was a light sleeper, so he opened his eyes and groaned softly as he removed his feet of the desk. He smiled as he took the hat off his head and tossed it on the desk.

     "Usually, I only have a light nap after a long night shift." Ray replied as he got up from his chair. "That way tonight when I hit the sack tonight I'll sleep like the dead."

     Ray walked over and picked up his gun and holstered it.

     "Let's go visit that good for nothing boy of yours" Ray mumbled, "I'm sure he's a good bit of time to think things through."

     Peter followed Ray down the stairs to the basement where the cells were. He had never been down here before, and while he never really expected it to be the Ritz, the cells were intimidating enough to make someone not want to come back which was likely the impression Ray wanted it to give people. Not having the best of accommodations might convince someone not to re-offend. Ray held the door open for Peter and as he walked in, he could see Nathan sitting on the bed. He had eaten most of his lunch and on has scraps left there. Ray closed the door behind him and stayed in the room. He felt having the bad cop in the room might make the kid a little more polite with the good cop, the role Peter was taking apparently with Ray too.

     "Nathan." Peter called out as he walked over.

     Nathan picked his head up to realize who was there. He heard the door open but assumed it was just Ray or a deputy. He wasn't expecting his father and almost jumped off the bed because there was a moment when he actually thought he was going to get out of there. When he realized Ray was with him, hopes of that started to fade.

     "What do you want?" the young man replied.

     "Well, my minivan back would be a good start." Peter said as he folded his arms. "Do you have an idea how much trouble you are in right now?"

     Nathan didn't answer the question and started to again exercise his right to remain silent. Ray didn't appreciate this disrespect as he took out his club and banged it against the bars with force.

     "In case you don't already know," Ray barked at him, "You're in a whole heap of trouble!"

     "Do you really want to get away from us that badly?" Peter asked. He really wanted to get an idea of where Nathan's head was at.