12. Back On The Wall

During his day off Nathan read almost half of the book that Ray had lent to out to him. While it was a stirring book about a gruff and very tough P.I., Nathan couldn't help but think there was a parallel he was missing. There had to be a reason why Ray would give him this particular book, rather than one of the dozens of others that apparently exist. The young man would have to wait before he got a chance to find out as he put the book away and dressed very lightly for his next day of community service. This time he surprised Ray but coming out of the house already dressed in the orange jumpsuit, which led the old Sheriff to snort and chuckle out loud as he sarcastically applauded Nathan's walk out to the truck.

     "Now you're getting it, kid." Ray said with a smile as he started the truck back up and proceeded to drive off to pick up the other kids. "You and Cheryl did such a great job with the first part of the wall that I'm going to leave you two there again to keep up the good work. Is that all right with you?"

     "Sounds good," Nathan replied, not really paying attention.

     "I didn't think you'd have a problem with it," Ray replied, "The shop owner next door liked you two as well. Said you were respectfully quiet and did a great job and that went far with me. That's the kind of talk I like to hear."

     "I'm glad to hear they're satisfied with our service." Nathan responded as he kept looking out the window.

     Ray could tell he was distracted so he decided to change the subject. "Did you happen to read any of that book I gave you?"

     "I've managed to read a bit," Nathan answered.

     "Is that so?" Ray responded, intrigued to hear the answer. "And what do we think of dear old Frank?"

     "I can see why you like him," Nathan answered. "Frank's tough, aggressive and takes no shit from anyone. Not even from that mean woman he hates so much."

     "You mean his wife," Ray corrected.

     "Yeah, his wife." Nathan answered, "Do marriages actually get that ugly? I mean these people made an oath to love one another no matter what, so how can it end up becoming so bitter?"

     "Promises are just words, kid," Ray replied, "They have no value nor meaning until they're backed up with action. Promises are nothing until you keep them."

     "So, vows are nothing when you make them?" Nathan inquired.

     "They're not nothing," Ray corrected him, "They do have value as it's a promise being made, but sometimes its hard for people to keep them in the long run. While some couples are able to ride out the storms and be stronger for it, there are just some couples that buckle to the pressure and fall by the wayside."

     "And this is why Frank hates her so much?" Nathan asked.

     "Yes," Ray replied, "Frank hates her and yet still loves her at the same time."

     "Okay," Nathan said, "That is very confusing."

     "Truer words have never been spoken," Ray answered. "When people make those vows, the majority of them mean it and make an effort to keep them, but there are some things that happen we can never be take back. Once certain bell has been rung, you can't be unring it. It's like trying to put shit back into the cow. Sure, you can try, but in the end you're just going to get kicked and be covered head to toe in shit. Sometimes people try to hide their pain and that is actually worse than freaking out."

     "What's worse than freaking out?" Nathan asked.

     "Hiding your pain is a worse," Ray continued, "Because when you bottle all that hostility up the anger grows, festers, and eats away at you. There are some who become so upset and depressed over it that to them the only way out seems to be to take matters into their own hands. I've been called in to clean up after that mess and it's not a pretty sight. People seem to think live is nothing without love and feel determined to end it all once it's gone."