Final Selection

Sabito had Tanjirou Kamado, a young man whose family was killed by a demon and his little sister was made into a demon.

Something in that boy made him want to train him.

So they trained together with a young woman named Makomo.

Sabito trained him hard probably even harder than Urokodaki did. However despite his threats, Tanjirou could smell Sabito's pride every time he improved in his technique. Tanjirou continued training, growing stronger and faster and then he was having his last fight with Sabito. He met his blade with his own, matching strike for strike. Sabito tried to overpower him as usual, but this time it was different.

He had sliced Sabito's mask.

The mask fell in two pieces.

Sabito looked so kind especially with his gentle eyes

Then he smiled.

"You are ready. All I ask is that you come back alive." Sabito said as he closed his eyes.

"I will and I'll save the others as well." Tanjirou stated with determination.

Sabito laughed.

"Of course you will but we are all already here. When you have returned, tell Urokodaki-san to follow you here but if you are too tired I'll come down there myself. It's not manly to keep us waiting after all." Sabito laughed which made Tanjirou smile.

Soon Tanjirou left for final selection within the time he was there, he had killed the demon who had killed his new found family even so he could not help but feel sorry for the demon after all it was just a little boy in that large body, he prays that the boy is reborn and not be a demon. After he survived final section, he takes the first aid given to him and quickly leaves to see Urokodaki and to see if his sister has awaken. Unfortunately, Tanjirou doesn't even make it close to home when his body started to collapse. He had taken the first step, using his sword sheath as a makeshift crutch when his leg had buckled out from under him. He fully expects to hit the hard ground but instead an arm loops around his middle, yanking him up and stopping his fall.

Shocked.

He looks up to see the boy he had grabbed earlier and accidentally broke his arm.

"Sorry for earlier." The boy huffed out with his face a little red.

Tanjirou smiles at him as the boy helps him with the slippery parts of the mountain. The boy blushed at the other boy, he was not use to getting such a bright kind smile from others.

"It's okay. I get that you might be tired after all of that." Tanjirou smiled at him brightly even though he too was really tired.

"I -

"It's okay. You don't have to say anything. Thank you for the recuse...... Ummmmm." Tanjirou said as the boy puts him down.

"Genya Shinazugawa."

"Thank you, Genya-san. I'm Tanjirou Kamado by the way. Nice to meet you."

"It was no trouble. It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Tanjirou."

"After this, do you think that we will meet again." Tanjirou asked excitedly, elated at the prospect of a new friend.

"I...... I'm not sure but I'll be glad if I do." Genya says, looking a little overwhelmed.

Tanjirou looked up at him and smiled.

"I think I'll see you soon, Genya-san."

"I'll be going now. Thank you for the help and I hope that I will be able to see you again." Tanjirou said, watching before he turns and starts walking in the opposite direction.

Genya's face turns red as he walks away to meet Gyomei to tell him that he just met an embodiment of sunshine. Genya wondered if he would be able to see Tanjirou again.

Tanjirou rushed back to Urokodaki, he sees that Nezuko had awaken. He runs to meet her but he falls once again but Nezuko runs to him. Tanjirou cries as he feels the arms of his sister. Urokodaki walked towards them, pulling Tanjirou into a hug.

"I did it, Urokodaki-san. I killed him the Hand Demon, all of your students are now free." Tanjirou said to his teacher.

"I thank you, Tanjirou." Urokodaki said hugging the boy tighter.

"Thank you too, Tanjirou." Sabito said from behind them, smirking behind his mask.

"Sabito-"

"Hello, Urokodaki-san." Makomo sang from behind him.

"You guys!"

The former pillar was greeted by all his beloved children he had lost to the demon.

They all hugged him tightly.

Urokodaki smiled under his mask, now knowing that they never hated him for what the demon took from them.

"How are you still here, my children?" Urodokai asked, tears falling from his eyes under his mask.

Sabito looks at Makomo who nodded.

"We were wandering around the area where final selection took place when a medicine seller found us. He was actually a exorcist who specializes in mononoke. He says that mononoke are vengeful spirits. Meaning that these are ayakashi that latched onto a negative feeling and have gained Form, Truth and Regret are creatures that simply shouldn't exist in this world but he allowed us to continue in our part of revenge for some reason. He says to give you his regards, Urodokai-san." Sabito finished his explanation.

Urodokai looked like he was in deep thought for a few seconds.

"Did he have on any purple on his lips?"

Sabito nodded.

Urodokai let's out a laugh.

"I see. I'm thankful for this."

The kids looked confused but they smiled because they were back.

Back home.

Tanjirou was cared for as they waited for his sword to arrive.

Sabito waited for him to heal in order to train once more. When the sword finally arrived, the animals sat patiently waiting to see the color of their new brother's sword.

It was black.

Tanjirou panicked but Urokodaki explained that thought it was not as common, it did not mean that it was bad luck. That was until Haganezuka attacked him for having a black blade but that fight was interrupted by a crow who gave Tanjirou his first mission. Haganezuka had just left after the crow delivered it's message but before Urokodaki explained everything about the exterminators uniform and sword, as well as the box that the trainer had made for him to carry Nezuko.

The boy was getting ready when something caught his eye. A small black cat and a pink fox.

"Sabito?" He called out, recognizing the fox's kind eyes.

"Yup. It is me and Makomo. We are coming with you whether you like it or not." The fox laughed.

Tanjirou smiled as he got his sister into the box, Sabito sat upon it as Makomo entered the box with Nezuko. He was ready to turn his sister back into human and help his friends on the way of his journey.

This was his first mission.

He smiled as he walked out into the sunrise. He was ready to face the world with his new friends and sister by his side.