Spanish 101 - Episode 2

The study group was in the study room waiting for Jeff to arrive

The study group was in the study room waiting for Jeff to arrive. Britta was the most annoyed about having to wait for him. Alex was barely paying attention. She was on her phone texting her brother, Eli. The two haven't seen each other in almost a week which is weird for them. They've never gone more than a night or two without seeing each other before now.

They even lived in a small van together for over a year when they were 16 and 17. That's when Eli moved into Demetri, both their best friend's, house. Alex had the option to move in too, but she decided to just stay in the van. They still saw each other basically everyday until she started college.

Dean Pelton spoke over the PA system, "Good afternoon, Greendale Community College. I am your dean with a few corrections to the fall class catalog. Cosmology should be Cosmetology. Astrology should be Astronomy...and, uh, the students on the cover should be smiling, but I suppose that's a matter of opinion. Whoever is growing a small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium, congratulations, you have won a cruise. Report to security to claim your tickets.  In order to increase awareness of homelessness, security has been given binoculars. In campus news, the debate over our library's PA system continues, with some students suggesting its volume be lowered while others question its very purpose. More on that story as it unfolds."

"That dude makes a lot of announcements," Troy said.

"I like it," Abed said. "It makes every 10 minutes feel like the beginning of a new scene of a TV show. Of course the illusion lasts until someone says something they never say on TV, like how much their life is like TV. There, it's gone."

"I guess Jeff's running late again," Annie said.

"Nothin new," Alex muttered, staring at her phone.

"Oh, what a shame," Britta said sarcastically. "Maybe we should get started..."

"No, no, no. I think we should wait for Jeff before we start studying," Shirley said.

"But maybe when Jeff gets here, we could talk to him, as a group, about his tardiness," Annie said, trying to find a compromise.

"Oh, come on now," Pierce said. "Don't use that word around Abed. If you want me to have a chat with Jeff, I'd do it. We've got a bond going, kind of, sort of like brothers."

"I hope your mom didn't make you take baths together because one of you would have been like 30," Troy laughed. The others laughed too, including Alex, though she didn't look up from her phone.

"You know Jeff probably comes late so he doesn't have to sit through your tardiness," Pierce said. "Sorry, Abed."

"Hey, will you guys have some self-respect?" Britta said. "You are obsessing over someone who does not give you a second thought. Meanwhile, in Guatemala, journalists are being killed by their own government."

"Baby, you done jumped a column there," Shirley said. "What's happening in Guatemala?"

"Nothing."

"Journalists are being murdered?" Annie asked.