Chapter 24

Davina finally texted back.

'It's been days!' Yara couldn't help but exclaim. 'Are you alright? Where have you been!'

'Busy. A guy has been following me. It's a vampire. I need help, please...'

Yara's face immediately dropped. 'Tell me where you were when you noticed it, I'll see if I can get security camera footage.'

Marcel was quickest to retrieve it once Yara confirmed that Davina had reached out to him, too. He forwarded her the footage for her to start trying to figure out where the man had encountered Davina as she walked toward the cemetery from a grocery store.

"There!" said Marcel, pointing at the computer screen. "That guy in the all-black suit. I recognize him. Shen Min, eight hundred years old. According to Tristan, he was a torture consultant for Genghis Khan."

"Oh, that he was," said Yara, taking a screenshot to confirm with Davina and let her know she and Marcel were taking care of it. "The Red Sorrow, The Viper."

"I knew the first nickname, not the second one."

"Figures. I called him that."

"Wait a second, you knew this guy?"

She let out a dry laugh. "Knew him? I worked with him in 1552. When I liberated Zanzibar from the Portuguese, I met this woman whose daughter had been taken. Tracked her to another Portuguese colonization mission in Malacca. He was in the process of getting them out of there, too. We decimated hundreds of Portuguese explorers and wanna-be conquistadors and freed that girl. I learned a lot from him. He called me 'The Wolf' and I called him 'The Viper.' Eventually my name was modified to be 'Lone Wolf' because I was always by myself. But he coined it because of how vicious I was... ripping people apart like a wolf might. And I called him the viper because, well, those fancy rings The Strix carry full of poison? Yeah, one of his ideas even if that bitch Aya made the majority of the venoms."

"So you're acquaintances?"

She rubbed the back of her head awkwardly. "A little more than that, just that one time, so I wouldn't say acquaintances but I also wouldn't say friends. Still, potentially enough to have an in and ask him what he wants with Davina? Do you have any idea why they'd be doing this?"

"No clue. If this is being done on behalf of The Strix, membership or no membership I doubt they'd let me know anything."

"Okay, so I'll reach out and arrange a meeting. We'll tell Elijah to be on standby."

"Do we need to?" muttered Marcel. "You and I can take him."

Yara let out a snort. "Oh, hell no. I might stand a chance if it were someone else but I am not taking a chance when it comes to Shen Min. We need someone stronger than him waiting to help us. If we're not able to get information out of him based on his behavior, we may need Elijah there to try and compel him. At least that way if we need to kill him or something... we can pin it on him and not on you. How will it look if they find out you're involved? At least with Elijah we can try and cover it up somehow."

He relented. "Okay, I'll call him while you try to arrange a meeting."

The plan was simple: Yara would reach out to an 'old friend' and arrange a meeting while Elijah and Marcel lingered nearby, listening and waiting. Yara would be able to hold her own well enough for the first few minutes if something went wrong; she could definitely survive until they got there. If he proved unwilling to say anything (which she expected, given his loyalty to The Strix), they'd take him to the St. Anne's gym and bleed him to allow Elijah's compulsion in.