Chapter 7 Job Two

I woke up in the morning at ten thirty. God I'm not used to that! I thought.
I hadn't done tracking like that since I was sixteen. How the hell I could do that kind of work for days on end I will never know. But then again I was a lot younger back then. God I felt old and I was only twenty-eight. What the hell will I be like when I enter my fifties? I shook my head at myself. I jumped in the shower quickly then got dressed and then brushed my teeth and hair. I made myself a cup of tea then got to work on job two. Finding Kyle's killer. I sat in my office and put together a list of facts I already knew.

1) Kyle was dead
2) The guy in the other car left the scene
3) The car belonged to Dean Jacobs
4) He reported the car missing before the crash
5) Jacobs's son goes to the same school as Lyle
6) Jacobs's son bullied Lyle (coincidence?)
7) Jacobs's son got his ass kicked by Lyle
8) Dean Jacobs didn't seem to have a problem with that

That was the strange part. I could find no evidence of Dean Jacobs filing any kind of report against Lyle. It was if he was almost glad/didn't care that his son a) was bulling kids and b) got his ass kicked so badly he ended up in the medical room. That wasn't important to the case and so I shoved the thought out of my mind. I emailed someone completely unrelated to the case. In fact I had never meant them and only spoke to them online but I trusted them.

To: thedragonfly@gmail.com
From: lauramason@gmail.com
Subject: I need a favour

I have £500 if you do some research on a guy called Dean Jacobs and his son Dan Jacobs. Btw keep this quiet as usual.

I scrambled the message before I sent it as I always did. I drained the last of my tea and got up to make some more. I also threw some cereal into a bowl and then cover it with milk. I walked back upstairs and plonked down onto the chair to see I had had a reply. I opened it up and unscrambled the message.

To: lauramason@gmail.com
From: thedragonfly@gmail.com
Subject: RE. I need a favour

I'm interested but why are you looking into the guy whose car killed Kyle? And why the son too? Do you think he was involved?

I felt like emailing back and telling him it was none of his business who I wanted information on. His job was to get the information I wanted. He got paid whether there was a lot or a little. Even the tiniest of facts could be useful. I emailed him back in the only language he knew.

To: thedragonfly@gmail.com
From: lauramason@gmail.com
Subject: RE. I need a favour

I'll give you £150 more if no questions are asked or answered

I got a reply within seconds.

To: lauramason@gmail.com
From: thedragonfly@gmail.com
Subject: RE. I need a favour

You got a deal. If you don't get the information within twelve hours, I'm either dead or have been taken prisoner by the FBI of CIA. Oh and you're welcome.

I leaned back in my chair. That's usually the way business goes with 'the dragon fly'. He knew I was a spy with MI6 but I wasn't FBI or CIA and I paid him after he had done the job so you could say he trusted me to some degree. For some reason he just didn't like American governments or agencies even though I had long suspected him of being an American citizen only because of where I transferred the cash to. He had replied quickly so he must be desperate for a job or money or both. While I was at my computer I decided to stop acting like a child and email Imogen.

To: petersfamily@hotmail.com
From: lauramason@gmail.com
Subject: You know

I'm sorry about what I said the other day and for not replying to your calls but I have been busy. I'm just pissed off that I have no privacy anymore because everyone seems to know what I'm doing at every minute of everyday. But I guess most of all I'm stressed about the whole Lyle situation and you know I've never been the best at expressing emotions.