Chapter 1: Introduction

May, 1956

Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean

"Commander Wilkinson, we've got something on sonar."

On board the USS Nautilus, a fresh, clean-shaven young man recently recruited into the American Navy is granted the prestigious position of sonar operator on the world's very first nuclear powered submarine. His job; simply to report any and all suspicious signatures to his superior officer, Commander Wilkinson, the captain of this atomic ship.

"What ya got son?" The Commander says waltzing over to the sonar screen, "Ruskies?"

"It can't be sir...it's huge." He throws his hands up, "I think our system is malfunctioning, I mean, look at that." He points to the screen, which indicates a sonar profile of over 160 meters.

"Well I'll be damned." The Commander smiles. "You found the sonuvabitch." He slaps the kid on the back.

A low but audible groan moves through the submarine, vibrating in air. Wilkinson smiles, and then takes a few long strides to a nearby radio.

"You reading me down there?" He calls into the radio, "Take us up to full power." Then turning around he begins to bark commands at his seamen, "Jackson, full throttle. Roberts, plot a course for Bikini. Freeman, bring us up nice and slow, we don't wanna hit the seabed when we reach the shallows. And James! Keep your eyes on that sonar signature, lemme know if he does anything funny."

"I don't understand sir," the kid replies, "What are we fighting?"

"This is your first rodeo right son? Well, did you seriously think all those waivers and secrecy papers you signed were so you could hunt Reds?" The Commander laughs and shakes his head, "We ain't huntin' shit down here boy...we're bait."

"Bait? For what?"

"For the Devil." He winks, then turns away, "Smith, get a message out to Monarch, tell 'em the fish is on the line."

The Nautilus rumbles and pushes through the water at twenty-three knots, behind them, a beast unlike anything the world has ever seen. On Bikini atoll, about ten miles away, a 3.8 megaton nuclear bomb waits.

Fifteen minutes into the chase and the Nautilus is approaching the surface.

"Sir, what exactly are we doing?" James asks.

"Okay, I'll give you a quick rundown son." The Commander replies, "This beastie is chasing us down right now, don't know why besides that he might fancy the taste of nuclear reactor. We got one job and one job only, we lure him right up to the shallows around Bikini. He runs aground and has to stop, we scrape by and get the hell outta there before our pals on the surface detonate their atom bomb and send that sea monster back to hell where he belongs. Understood?"

"Y-Yessir."

"Good, keep watching that sonar, we'll be there soon."

Minutes later and the Nautilus, now surfaced, speeds by Bikini atoll, her belly just feet from the sand. She presses onward and passes a small platform, holding the atomic bomb.

Water rushes over the small island as the creature approaches. On the island an alarm sounds, warning of the impending blast.

The monster hits the sand, stopping it's pursuit of the sub.

"Dive!" Commander Wilkinson shouts as the USS Nautilus clears the shallows. A alarm rings through the ship as she plummets into the depths.

The King of Monsters regains his balance, and begins to stand on the small atoll just before a blinding flash of white light surrounds him. A mushroom clouds rises hundreds of feet into the air, and when it clears, there is no sign of the enormous creature.