Chapter 1

Lucy, a 23-year-old graphic designer with hazel eyes and shoulder-length chestnut hair, hurriedly stepped out of her office building while rolling down her sleeves. The warm amber glow of the setting sun cast a golden hue over her fair complexion, making her freckles dance like specks of cinnamon across her cheeks. She wore a simple black blouse tucked into high-waisted blue jeans, paired with her favorite white sneakers. A well-loved canvas tote bag hung from her shoulder, filled with sketchbooks and art supplies that she carried everywhere.

"Hey, Lucy!" called out Jack, one of her coworkers, as he jogged to catch up to her. "Great job on the presentation today. You really nailed the concept for our new project!"

"Thanks, Jack!" Lucy replied, her face lighting up with a genuine smile. "I'm glad you liked it. I was a little nervous presenting in front of everyone, but I think it went well."

"Are you kidding? You were fantastic!" Jack said, pantomiming applause. "You've got a real gift, Lucy. I can't wait to see what you come up with next."

"Aw, shucks," Lucy blushed, brushing off the compliment with a playful wave. "I just love what I do, you know?"

"Absolutely." Jack nodded, his admiration for Lucy evident in his expression. "Well, I'll let you get home. Have a great evening, Lucy!"

"Thanks, you too!" Lucy waved goodbye as she continued on her way, her steps light and quick.

As she headed towards the subway station, she passed by an elderly man selling newspapers at a small stand. She had seen him many times before on her daily commute and had developed a friendly rapport with him. Today, as usual, she stopped to buy a paper and chat for a moment.

"Hi, Mr. Thompson!" Lucy greeted him cheerfully, fishing a couple of coins from her pocket. "How's your day been?"

"Ah, same old, same old," he replied gruffly, but his eyes twinkled with warmth as he handed her the newspaper. "How about you, young lady? Another successful day at work?"

"Yep!" Lucy nodded enthusiastically. "I presented a new design concept today, and it was well received!"

"See? I told you that you'd make it big in this city," Mr. Thompson said, a hint of pride creeping into his voice. "Keep up the good work."

"Thanks, Mr. Thompson," Lucy replied, touched by his support. "I'll do my best. You take care of yourself, okay?"

"Will do, dear." He waved her off as she headed towards the subway entrance, the newspaper tucked under her arm.

It was these little interactions that made Lucy feel alive – connecting with the people around her, sharing laughter and words of encouragement. For her, every day was an opportunity to bring a bit of sunshine into someone else's life. And as the sun dipped below the horizon, casting the world into twilight, Lucy couldn't help but hum a happy tune, feeling content as she made her way home.

Lucy entered her cozy apartment, the warm light from the living room lamp spilling into the hallway. The walls were adorned with an eclectic mix of vintage posters and her own artwork – bright, colorful designs that reflected her vibrant personality. She tossed her keys onto the small table by the door, a decorative bowl filled with seashells she had collected during a beach trip with Emma.

"Emma? Tyler? I'm home!" Lucy called out, knowing they often hung out at her place when she was at work. She loved having them around, their presence making her small apartment feel like a real home.

"Hey, Luce! We're in your bedroom," Emma's voice rang out, accompanied by a nervous giggle.

"Be right there!" Lucy replied, her heart swelling with warmth at the thought of spending time with her two favorite people. She kicked off her shoes and padded down the hallway, her eyes taking in the cherished memories scattered throughout her home – photographs of family vacations, sketches from her college days, and a worn copy of her favorite novel.

As she approached her bedroom door, Lucy noticed the faint scent of vanilla candles, her favorite aroma for relaxation. Smiling, she imagined Emma and Tyler setting up a surprise for her, perhaps a movie night or a mini spa session to help her unwind after work. Excitement bubbled within her as she reached for the doorknob, eager to see what they had planned.

"Surprise, Luce," Emma said, her voice wavering as the door swung open.

The sight that greeted Lucy made her blood run cold. There, on her own bed, lay Emma and Tyler, tangled in the sheets and wearing only their guilt-ridden expressions. Time seemed to stand still as the weight of the betrayal crashed down on her.

"Lucy it's not what you think," Tyler stuttered, his face flushed with shame.

"Really, Tyler?" Lucy spat, her chest tightening with anger and hurt. "Because it looks pretty damn clear to me!"

"Lucy, I can explain," Emma stammered, clutching the bedsheets to her chest as if they could shield her from the storm brewing in Lucy's heart.

"Save it, Emma!" Lucy snapped, her eyes blazing with betrayal. "Just get out. Both of you."

"Please, Luce," Tyler pleaded, desperation evident in his voice. "We didn't mean for this to happen. Let us explain."

"Explain?" Lucy scoffed, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "There's nothing you can say that will make this right. Now, get out of my apartment. I never want to see either of you again."

"Get out!" Lucy screamed, her voice cracking as she pointed toward the door. Her chest heaved with each ragged breath, and a bitter taste filled her mouth.

Emma and Tyler scrambled to their feet, grabbing at their clothes in a hurried attempt to cover themselves. Lucy's gaze darted between them, taking in the scene that would forever be seared into her memory.

"Lucy, please," Emma whimpered, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I never meant to hurt you."

"Neither did I," Tyler added, his voice barely audible.

"Then why?" Lucy demanded, swallowing back the sob that threatened to escape. "Why did this happen? How could you do this to me?"

"Lucy," Emma began slowly, trembling as she struggled to find the right words. "I don't know what to say... I'm so sorry."

"Is this how long you've been lying to me?" Lucy asked between clenched teeth, her anger bubbling beneath the surface. "How long has this been going on?"

"Lucy, it was just one mistake," Tyler confessed, his eyes pleading for forgiveness. "We never meant for things to go this far."

"Enough!" Lucy shouted, her hands shaking with the force of her emotions. "I don't want to hear any more of your pathetic excuses."

"Lucy," Emma whispered, her voice breaking. "Please, can we talk about this? I love you like a sister, and I don't want to lose you over this."

"Love me?" Lucy scoffed, her heart aching from the pain. "You have a funny way of showing it."

"Please, Luce," Tyler implored, his eyes brimming with tears. "Just give us a chance to make this right."

"Right?" Lucy shook her head in disbelief, her vision blurring with unshed tears. "There is no right here. You both betrayed me. Trust? Friendship? It's all gone."

"Lucy, we'll do anything," Emma pleaded, her voice barely a whisper.

"Get out," Lucy repeated, her voice cold and unwavering. "Now."

As the door slammed shut behind them, Lucy collapsed onto the floor, her body wracked with sobs. The betrayal had shattered her world, leaving her to pick up the pieces of her broken heart