Chapter 6

The sun dipped below the horizon as Lucy and Aiden sat side by side on a picnic blanket, their fingers brushing against each other's. Their eyes locked, revealing the undeniable spark that had ignited between them. It was a moment of pure serendipity, yet coated with the bittersweet taste of forbidden love.

"Lucy," Aiden whispered, his voice hoarse with emotion. "I can't help but feel this pull towards you. It's like my entire being is drawn to you."

"Me too," she admitted, her cheeks blushing crimson. "But we both know it's wrong. Mason warned you to stay away from me." She looked down at their intertwined hands, feeling a mixture of guilt and desire.

"Damn right I did," Mason's voice growled from behind them, causing both Aiden and Lucy to jump. He stood with his arms crossed, his brow furrowed in disapproval.

"Mas—" Aiden stammered, quickly pulling his hand away from Lucy's. "I didn't mean for this to happen. I just—"

"Save your excuses, Aiden." Mason's voice was cold, disappointment etched into every word. "You're supposed to be my best friend, not someone who goes after my sister."

Lucy's heart ached as she watched her brother's anger directed at Aiden. She knew how protective Mason could be, but she also knew the depth of his loyalty towards Aiden. The thought of destroying their friendship weighed on her conscience.

"Please, Mason," she pleaded, her voice shaking. "This isn't Aiden's fault. We both got carried away. I'm sorry."

Mason stared at her for a moment, his eyes softening slightly before hardening again. "Lucy, I'm trying to protect you. You've been hurt before, and I won't stand by and watch Aiden hurt you too."

"Mas, I promise you," Aiden interrupted, his eyes filled with sincerity. "I would never hurt Lucy. What's happening between us is... unexpected. But it's real, and I can't ignore it."

"Neither can I," Lucy confessed, her gaze meeting Aiden's.

Mason sighed, rubbing his temples as if trying to alleviate the headache brought on by this complicated situation. "Fine," he said after a moment of silence. "But remember, Aiden, you and I have been friends for years. You know how much Lucy means to me. If you do anything to hurt her, our friendship is over. Do you understand?"

Aiden swallowed hard, his throat feeling as though it was constricting. "I understand, Mason. I give you my word."

"Good." Mason turned away, leaving them alone once more.

As they sat in silence, Lucy couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding. The consequences of their forbidden love were becoming painfully clear, and she found herself questioning whether it was worth risking everything for the connection she shared with Aiden.

As if sensing her thoughts, Aiden reached out and gently squeezed her hand, offering a reassuring smile. "We'll figure this out, Lucy. We'll make it work somehow, without hurting Mason."

"I hope so," she whispered, her heart pounding with a mixture of fear and anticipation for what the future held.

Lucy and Aiden were walking hand in hand through the park, basking in the warmth of the sun as it filtered through the leaves above them. Despite their lingering concerns about Mason's disapproval, they couldn't deny the happiness that filled them in each other's presence.

"Lucy!" a familiar voice called out, shattering the tranquility of the moment.

Lucy's heart dropped as she turned to see Tyler jogging towards them, determination etched on his face. She hadn't seen him since their breakup, and her stomach twisted with apprehension. Beside her, Aiden tensed, preparing for whatever confrontation lay ahead.