Chapter 2

Lucy stumbled through her apartment, mascara-streaked tears blurring her vision as she fumbled for her phone. The image of her best friend and boyfriend tangled in each other's arms burned behind her eyelids, a searing reminder of the betrayal that had just unfolded before her.

"Hey Siri," she sobbed, choking on her words, "call Mason."

"Calling Aiden," Siri responded, and before Lucy could correct the mistake, she heard the ringing on the other end of the line.

"Hey Lucy, what's up?" Aiden's warm voice filled her ear, and she hesitated. He was her brother's best friend, not hers. But there was something about his presence, even over the phone, that made her feel safe. She couldn't hold back any longer.

"Aiden, I—I can't believe it," she stammered, tears streaming down her face. "I just walked in on my best friend and Jason...together."

"Lucy, I'm so sorry," Aiden said softly, genuine concern evident in his tone. "That's awful. I can only imagine how you must be feeling right now."

She sniffled, grateful for his empathy. "It's like someone ripped my heart out, Aiden. They were supposed to be the people I could trust the most, and they—"

"Hey, hey, it's okay," he interrupted gently. "Take a deep breath. I'm here for you, Lucy. Whatever you need."

"Thank you," she whispered, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "I don't know why I called you, but I'm glad I did."

"Me too," Aiden admitted, his voice tender. "Sometimes we connect with the people we need most when we least expect it."

As a physical therapist, Aiden had always been attuned to the emotional needs of others. Lucy knew he could sense her pain, even from miles away. She also knew that he wouldn't judge her for her vulnerability; he would simply offer his strength.

"Lucy, do you need me to come over?" Aiden asked after a moment's pause. "I can be there in twenty minutes."

"Would you really?" she asked, touched by his willingness to support her despite their somewhat tenuous connection.

"Of course," he replied without hesitation. "You're family, Lucy. And right now, you need someone who cares about you."

"Thank you, Aiden," she said, her voice thick with emotion. "I think I'd really like that."

Twenty minutes later, Aiden arrived at Lucy's apartment carrying a pint of her favorite ice cream in one hand and a comforting smile on his face. Lucy opened the door, her eyes still red and puffy from crying.

"Hey there," Aiden greeted softly, holding out the ice cream as a peace offering.

"Thank you," Lucy said, managing a small, appreciative smile. "You didn't have to do that."

"Of course I did," Aiden replied with a gentle chuckle. "It's chocolate fudge ripple therapy."

They settled onto the living room couch, with Lucy cradling the container of ice cream and a spoon in her hands. Aiden sat beside her, close enough to offer support but not so close that it felt intrusive. He knew she needed space, but he was determined to be there for her.

"Where do we start?" Aiden asked, his voice full of understanding.

"Can we just... talk?" Lucy requested hesitantly. "About anything other than what happened?"

"Absolutely," Aiden agreed, immediately diving into a light-hearted story about his latest misadventures at work. Lucy listened attentively, occasionally interjecting with questions or comments that showed her genuine interest in his life.