𝟏 - Here We Go Again

♍︎ Velia ♍︎
Taking small sips of the lemon-infused iced tea I brewed earlier this morning, enveloping myself into a profound sense of bliss. The tea tantalizes my taste buds, finding myself equally entranced by the gentle summer breeze that sweeps through the open windows at the back of my shop, tickling my face. Breathing in the rich fragrance of the woodland air that delicately wraps around my beloved hometown, Silva. "This peacefulness of this day is truly remarkable." Taking in the serene atmosphere around my shop. Finding myself constantly observing the elves as they carry out their daily routines, injecting vitality into the bustling city with their mere existence.

"Don't you think so, Calix?" Pivoting on my heels, resting my weight against the windowsill to studying a youthful male elf who's fully engrossed in his work. His intense stare never flinching as he crushes herbs in a mortar made of granite using a pestle of the same material. Anticipating some sort a reaction from him, but receive only silence. "Calix, hello. Did you not hear me?" Moving towards him with light steps, hardly making any noise. Setting the of glass iced tea right beside to him, hoping it would grab his attention.

After a few sluggish seconds has ticked on by, I finally received some form of response from him. However, it was not the reaction I was hoping for, as his tone of voice lacks any enthusiasm whatsoever. "Hm? Oh, yeah, it sure is." Standing by, watching as he meticulously grounds the herbs before setting the pestle aside on the wooden table where he had been working all morning. He then reaches for a small glass container to store the precious powder. Every speck of the crushed herbs would be used for our medicines and salves, to which he makes sure to not lose a gram of it. "Is there anything else you have me to do? Because I finished the rest that needed to be done by this morning." Speaking in a straightforward manner, while also avoiding to make any sort of direct eye contact with me.

Over the course of the last two years, he has isolated himself from others by devoting his time and energy to pursuing a work-driven lifestyle. Since his return to Silva, he hasn't even requested a single day off from work. Initially, I had hoped that his pursuit and passion to become a healer would become his main focus; however, I eventually realized that my regret for such thoughts has overshadowed that desire. The memory of his playful banter and gentle smile lingers in my mind, a reminder of the warmth and openness that once radiated from him. But now, he has retreated into a shell of isolation, avoiding any genuine connection with anyone, even including himself into the equation. Although he attempted to convince me and everyone else that he was alright, his emotions didn't appear to be authentic whatsoever. While I may not possess empathic qualities like he does, I'm not easily fooled when it comes to comprehending the emotions of others.

"No, that would be all, but thank you for asking." Taking the jar from his hand, delicately placing it onto a shelf brimming with other glass containers. Each jar held an array of finely ground herbs, carefully labeled and organized for easy access. "Why don't you take a break and go outside." Playfully nudged him with my elbow, but he just grumbles in response, moving away from my touch. "Nah, I rather just stay here and find something else to do." He's now walking off towards the staircase that leads to the place where we keep extra beds for patients who's in need of a longer recovery period.

Sighing solemnly as he ascends up the stairs, disappearing from my sight. "Oh, Calix..." Muttering under my breath, leaving the back room to enter the main area of the shop, but the moment of entering, the front door suddenly bursts open, slamming against the wooden walls with an intense force that almost tore it off its hinges. The sound of the small brass bell above it ringing frantically throughout the room. "What in the w-."

"Please, please, please don't tell them I'm here!" The tranquil ambiance of my beloved shop was disrupted by the distressing voice of none other than Greyson, who's frantically pleading with me. "I swear on my life, I didn't do anything!" With a clumsy scurry, and his tail tucked between his legs, he makes a pitiful attempt at announcing his presence as his sharp claws scratches up my once-pristine wooden floors. Standing there with bated breath, frozen, and my heart pounding in my chest, watching as the white wolf nearly topples over my cherished plants after accidentally colliding with a small table situated in the middle of the room.