𝟒 - Unease & Uncertainty

♏︎ Shivani ♏︎
With a forceful shove, I push Greyson aside, desperate to remove the slimy slobber from my face. In haste, I use my sleeve to wipe away the unpleasant residue. "Damn it, now I'm going to smell like dog breath all day." Flashing a fang in Greyson's direction, attempting to assert dominance, he simply chuckles while wagging his tail, completely unfazed. His derpy face, with a tongue hanging out and a goofy grin, made it clear that he was enjoying the moment and had no intention of taking my display of aggression seriously.

"Here, maybe this would help." Velia, sensing my need for assistance, tosses a towel my way along with a small glass jar filled with cream that emanated a delightful scent of berries and vanilla. With my quick reflexes, I easily caught both items, grateful for her timely aid. Quickly using the towel to clean off the remaining slobber from my face, feeling refreshed by the pleasant aroma of the cream after applying some of it in my hands to help rub it on my face. "Thanks."

Greyson, on the other hand, grumbled slightly, his annoyance evident in the low rumbling sound that's coming from deep within his throat. "You girls are taking this out of proportion. My breath smells fine... even wonderful."

"Pffft! That's bull and you know it." Azara, not one to hold back her opinions, scoffs shortly after Greyson's remark. "Just the other day you were caught eating a rotten corpse of a raccoon."

"Eww." Velia, on the other hand, couldn't hide her disgust as she covers her mouth to stifle her reaction.

Greyson, being unimpressed with Velia's reaction, rolls his eyes in response. His action conveyed a mixture of annoyance and dismissal towards Velia's display of disgust. "Hey, don't knock it till you try it, okay?"

"Anyway." Azara, sensing the tension and discomfort caused by the conversation, waves her hand in a dismissive manner. Her gesture was an attempt to quickly diffuse the awkwardness and redirect the focus elsewhere. "Why are you here, Shivani? I thought you were coming over next week."

Soon after finishing using the towel and cream, Velia takes them from me and walks on over to the counter to set them aside. I let out a subtle sigh, feeling the weight of the news I have to share with them. My eyes shifting from Azara to Greyson, contemplating how to break the news about Queen Corvina's plans for the kingdom and its werewolves. Nibbling on the inside of my cheek, carefully considering the best approach to deliver this information. It was a delicate matter that could have significant consequences, and I wanted to ensure that I conveyed it with the necessary gravity and urgency. As I hesitate to share the news, I noticed that Azara's concern grew, evident in the worried look she's giving me. Her sister, Velia, also caught on to the tension in the room. Greyson, on the other hand, seemed perplexed, his head cocked to the side in confusion, sensing the sudden shift in the atmosphere.

"Shivani, is everything alright?" Amidst the suffocating silence, it was Velia's gentle voice that bravely shatters the stillness between us.

"Hey, Greyson, w-why don't you um... go find Calix while I talk to these two, okay?" Extending a gentle smile towards him, but his response is a worried gaze. His once perky white ears now hang low, while his eyes widen in concern. "Please, Greyson."

"Is it about my-."

"Please..."

With a heavy heart, he lowers his head and slowly exits the room, retreating to the back room through the door. The sisters silently observe his departure, their eyes following him as his drooping tail accompanies his somber stride. After a moment, their focus returns to me, their undivided attention once again focused on what I have to say. "So, what is it?" Azara breaks the silence. Once again, exhaling a long, drawn-out breath, seemingly bracing herself for the news I am about to share. The weight of the impending information hangs heavy in the air, and I mentally prepare myself to deliver the unfortunate tidings. However, Azara grew increasingly impatient. "Come on, Shiv. Spill it. Whatever it is, couldn't be that bad, right?"