CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

I was awoken like every day before, Clare would come in, open the velvet blinds and ask,
"A bath before or after breakfast? Your highness." The young maid smiled clasping her multi- coloured hands in front of her dress.

After the events in the kitchen with Arthur- how he so easily forced himself upon me, I hardly saw him during the day other than meal times. Under his gentlemanly acts and kind gestures, he was a monster waiting to rise to the surface.

"Now please." I mumbled out sitting up in the mess of sheets wrapped around me, pillows had fallen onto the floor and my chemise had risen above my thighs.

I felt tired and disgusted.

All the grime and dirt still stuck to my skin itched all over my body, I needed to scrub myself over and over again. Pushing my chemise down over the ugly scar on my thigh I slid my legs over the edge of my bed. Clare had already begun setting up the bath in the attached room.

Even after nineteen months of starving in darkness the routine of getting up, bathing, eating, pretending and smiling came easily. The hardest part was sleeping, the moment I shut my eyes the nightmares came back- each night worse than the one before. Horrors that felt real and alive. Throughout the night I would awake screaming, thrashing in my sheets- others I would awake completely still, terrified of what was awaiting me in the darkness.

The only hope I had for something good was waiting for the hour my Mother and brother would arrive here in Britannia after finding out I was alive after all this time. This last week I was fed healthy meals, tea and snacks, the fat on my body was slowly starting to return. My cheeks were less sunken in and my scars where all checked by a doctor, he only gave me some tea herbs for any pain I may still experience.

Everyone could only keep telling me how lucky I was. How lucky I was to be alive. Luck didn't get me here- I did. Lionel did. Thrall did.

I stood at the end of my bed, my skin rubbed red- most of the dirt and grime now finally free of my skin.

"His Highness requested you wear this gown for today and this one tonight for the ball. Arthur had it made for you to wear to meet your family in, isn't it beautiful." Clare smiled glancing down at the two dress'.

I listened as a drop of water fell from my wet hair onto the floor below. A celebration ball of my return, alcohol, food, dancing, most importantly my family will be attending.

"How lovely." I stared down at the two light pink frilly dress, decorated with lace and sequins. One was simpler for the day, the second more extravagant to be shown off in front of all the guests attending tonight's ball.

Clare slid my chemise over my body, pulled up my stockings, laced my matching light pink shoes, strapped up my corset and pulled my gown up over my body- pinning parts down and lacing the back. I stood, a doll for her to dress and decorate. I noticed the sheer, bell sleeves were slightly longer than my wrists- hiding all the scars on my arms.

"Finally all done, you look perfect. His Highness has a good taste in fashion does he not?" Clare smiled at me in the mirror at my beauty table.

My hair was dried and styled in an updo of curls and pearl pins, pulled back away from my face. I looked away from the mirror- I looked nothing like myself.

"Thank you Clare, I should be able to manage from here. Go enjoy your breakfast." I said standing up from the seat, my gown flowing out around me.

Clare gave me a small curtsy and left my chambers without another word, taking the dirty laundry with her.

Ignoring the mirror I stepped over to the window and looked out over the garden. The land looked so green and lush- the last time I was here it was covered in a layer of thick, white snow. Since then another winter had passed and summer was upon us.