CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

"Please look after yourself my darling daughter. Inform me of any news, and I know Captain Lionel is still out there, just- just please don't rush back out until you are ready. I can't lose you again." Mother's eyes watered as she held my cheek.

"You won't." I told her pulling her into another tight hug. I refused to cry in fear of washing the makeup upon my cheek.

"She'll have me with her this time around, no need to fear." Cole smirked resting his hand on her back.

Mother smiled through her tears, "You two are so incredibly brave. If only your father could see you now."

Her words tore a deeper hole into my already shattered heart.

"He would be fighting right alongside us, I'm sure." Cole chuckled softly, his eyes glancing over to me.

"I'll miss you both terribly." I felt a lump form inside my throat. Cole was right, father would be- and he was, only, on the opposing side.

"We'll miss you too." Mother spoke for her and my brother hugging me tightly once again.

"We should get going or I won't ever want to leave."

The horses attached to the carriage broke our attention as they neighed in impatience. The coachman was waiting by the open door- all the luggage strapped securely on the back of the carriage.

"Travel safe Esme." Queen Ariellah smiled, standing beside Eugene.

"Thank you Ari. Take care of her Arthur." Mother smiled over her shoulder as her and Cole stepped over to the carriage door.

Arthur didn't even flinch, "Always."

Everyone said another round of goodbyes as mother and Cole stepped inside the carriage, the coachman closed the door and climbed up to the front seat- grabbing the reins.

"I have work to attend to, I'll see you all at dinner." Arthur called from behind, his boots tapping up the staircase.

"I'll be popping into the city for a few hours, don't wait for me if I'm not back in time for dinner." Lance smiled after to his parents, they gave an accepting nod.

"Are you alright?" Edmunds voice mumbled out beside me. My feet were stuck to the ground. I gave him a quick nod.

"Y-yes, I'm fine." I breathed out glancing up at Edmund, his parted hair brushing over his eyes in the breeze.

"I am training the recruits again after lunch, will you join me?" The Prince asked, his eyes unwavering from my face.

"I'd love to." Meeting Edmunds gaze I smiled, feeling slightly more at ease.

"I'll get you some armour, we should have some small enough laying around." Edmund matched my smile. Looking back everyone had already returned inside the castle and my families carriage long out of view on the other side.

"Edmund." I called as he took a step away, "Thank you." I felt more than inclined to thank him.

Part of me felt like he knew everything that was going on, wanting to keep me sane. Although, it couldn't be more than a polite offer.

Edmunds smile reached his eyes and dipped his head, "I'll see you out there."

A warm sticky breeze washed over our sweaty armoured bodies as we walked back towards the castle, summer was as warm as I remembered. I had missed a whole cycle of seasons while stuck inside that cell. I was also a year older now- eighteen. All that time spent trapped in the West felt like I blinked and now I was back where I started. In a worse state than before.