Chapter 3

HEY GUYS!

okay so you have no idea how much i LOVED that there's already 1,000 reads for two parts;) you guys are amazing! thank you so much! have an awesome day.

WRITE ON!

<3 SnazzyReader

***

Chapter 3: Positive is Negative

That was the hardest Allison had ever worked. Managing the desk was a lot harder than it looked, and she really had to give Cathie some props, she did a great job. On the upside, most of the people figured out that it was her first day, so they cut her some slack.

But what really shocked her was the names that people came up with for their animals. Some were cute like Grover or Skittles, and some were pretty basic, like Spot or Fifi. No what really amazed her were the ones like Pookie, Fizzdrop, and Lemoncandy. She actually laughed when she heard that last one, but she was able to disguise it with a cough.

She'd been fine. Her mom hadn't even shown up to her appointment. In fact, she hadn't heard from her all day. And ten minutes before her lunch break, the bells on the door rang... and of course it was her. Allison could sense the devil entering the room. And no, her mom wasn't the devil. It was their new dog, Bandit.

As if the name wasn't bad enough, right? Bandit was a white poodle, full of fluff and cuteness. Not a toy poodle. though. A full sized man-poodle that was pure evil. The first time she saw him, Allison rushed over and bent down to give him a hug. That's when Bandit bit her on the nose and ripped her favorite dress she'd worn to impress her mother. So yeah, Allison and bandit got off to a rough start. But he was still the devil.

"Allie! How are you!" Her mother squealed as she walked in the door.

Allison took a deep breath and tried not to run away, even though all her instincts were saying RUN FOR IT. "Great, Mom. How have you been?"

"Good, good. Your father is painting the kitchen. It's going to be a mint green to match the new oak cabinets that we ordered from Peru. You should come see it soon." Her mother put the end of Bandit's leash on a hook and walked up to the desk. "So, you got promoted! How exciting! Soon you'll be a real vet!"

It was all Allison could do not to roll her eyes. "I wasn't promoted, Mom, they just put me at the dest because Dr. Barret came back, so I get to work here now, like I should have been before. Understand now Mom? Or do I have to explain it to you on the phone again?"

Her mother sighed and dropped her purse on the counter. "Just let Dr. Barret know we're here. And have you thought about what I said?"

"Mom? Not now, okay, I'm working." She picked up the phone and dialed Dr. Barret's extension. "Dr. Barret? Your nine o'clock is here. Yes, your nine o'clock. Yes, they came late. *sigh* It's Mrs. McHartey? Great, I'll send her back now."

Her mom took the hint and walked toward the door with Bandit. Before she touched the handle, she turned around and gave Allison a look. "Please, Allison. Just think about it... we want grandkids, try to see it from our point of view, okay?!"

Then she was gone. Allison let out a loud sigh of relief. Cathie walked through the back door laughing and holding a smoldering cigarette. "Wow, she really is awful, isn't she? And I thought you were exaggerating." She threw the cigarette into the trash can and slumped down in one of the waiting room chairs.

"I know! How can she say that?! And in my workplace! Of course, everyone else loves her, and-"

"Okay, Allison?" Cathie looked annoyed and amused at the same time. "Can we not talk about how awful your mom is for one day?"

Allison blinked and stopped talking. "Um, okay?"

Cathie jumped up and put her hand on Allison's shoulder. "Look, I just want to know if this is really what you want. If you really don't want a kid then don't have one. But if you do want kids someday, then maybe now is a good time to have them."

Allison sighed and plucked Cathie's hand off her shoulder. "Cathie, come here."

She pulled her around the counter and through the back door behind the front desk. They discretely moved past the room with her mother and Dr. Barret and ran past the cat room to the bathroom for employees only. She pulled her into the back stall and reached behind the broken trash can. When she pulled her hand back. Allison was holding...

"Pregnancy tests? What the heck?" Cathie grabbed her hand and tried to move out of the crowded stall.

Allison held the door shut and shushed her. "Yeah, pregnancy tests. Five. And guess what. They're all positive."

Cathie squealed and tried to bounce up and down in the stall, but it was really claustrophobic in there. "That's so exciting!!" 

Allison slapped her head against her forehead. "No! It's not exciting! I'm not ready for this!" She opened the door and slumped against the sinks. "I'm not ready for this. I'm not ready to be a... you know. Not when mine is so mean! What if I turn out like her! And even worse, what if she thinks I did this on purpose because she told me to? She can't be proved right!"

"Look, Allison, calm down. It might just be a fluke. So, go to the doctor, and get a real test. And then, if it's positive, then let's just go from there."

Allison nodded and stood up. "Now all i need to do is find a doctor."

Cathie nodded, and then stopped suddenly and gazed into the mirror. "No, you don't need to."

"Look, Cathie, I know that you're really pretty, but there's no reason to rub it in my face-"

"NO, Allison! Dr. Barret has a sonogram machine! Now we just have to figure out how to steal it..."