chapter 19- Broken

The egg proved pretty useless, when Lorenzo, Aimie, Draco and I opened it, it let out this blood curdling screech, 10 times as worse than a Mandrakes. What was I supposed to get out of that!

We have all been gathered into an emptied class room by my father, where we are split up into different sides of the room, boys on one-side and girls on the other.

"The Yule Ball  is a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament, on Christmas night, we and our guests shall gather in the Great Hall for a night of friendship and well mannered frivolity. I trust that you will represent the house of Slytherin with dignity and pride, as I will not tolerate anything less." My father states, "Now I will pair you up as you are required to practice the dance."

I didn't even know anything about the Ball, and I've been informed that as a champion It is compulsory to bring a date. Brilliant, I shudder at the thought.

At least I've been paired up with Draco, while Aimie and Lorenzo are paired, along with Blaise who is paired up with Pansy, well someone had to draw the short straw I suppose.

Having spent so many summers at the Manor, Narcissa insisted that we take lessons in dance for when they attended social gatherings or parties. So we're both quick to learn.

"Has anyone asked you yet?" Draco asks as we sway side by side, his hand on my waist and mine on his shoulders.

"This is the first time I've even heard of the ball but no, no one has asked me."

He nods and I look towards Enzo dancing alongside my best friend.

"You should ask him." He whispers, before I can deny the accusation behind it he replies "we all know you want to, Kass. You're pretty transparent. But it makes sense." He shrugs and I nod in response.

"Maybe I will... has anyone asked you?" I ask, and wonder why I am so intrigued by his response.

"Other than Pansy no and i'd rather pitch myself off the astronomy tower than go with her, but I'm not sure if I'll even attend really. The only girl I want has eyes elsewhere." He replies.

I make an O shape with my mouth. Poor Draco, I know how he feels. It truly sucks being in love with someone that is just out of your reach.

After the practice has finished, the rest of the school day ensures and I find myself receiving many offers, even cedric asked but I let him down gently, saying that I don't think two champions can attend with eachother, and try point him in the direction of Cho, who near follows the boy everywhere he goes, like a puppy. I was truly flattered by his invitation though and it gave me a new found confidence which I appreciated greatly.

I couldn't find Enzo anywhere, there was no doubt in my mind that he was the one I wanted to go with as soon as I heard about the ball. I make my way through the common room and up to his dorm and softly knock the door before letting myself in.

I stand there in utter disbelief as Enzo is hovered over someone, making out with none other than Pansy Parkinson. He still hasn't noticed me yet as they continue the heavy make out session.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have helped myself in like that" I announce my presence and Lorenzo breaks the kiss and faces me wide-eyed, though Pansy just smirks and sends cocky me a wave. 

"Shit, Ka-kass it's not what it looks like i- i swear" He rushes to me while stuttering over his words, but it's almost certainly what it looks like, how stupid does he think i am. I feel pain beyond description over the boy I've fallen madly in love with here kissing another woman.

"There's no need to lie to me Enz, i know i have no claim over you, it's- it's okay." I mutter in a voice so low I doubt he can even hear. "I'm just gonna go."

"No, Kass. Don't..." but I cut him off and slam the door behind me as I run out of the common room with no desestination in particular. My heart breaks as the scene replays itself over and over again in my head. I collapse on the floor, clutching at my heart as the tears flow and flow. Am i having a heartattack? It sure feels like it.

How could he? He said...I thought he loved me... but how could he?

Draco soon rushes over to me and pulls me into his arms, but doesn't pry or push for answers or explanation. He's just there, as he always is, despite the mean mask he usual hides behind, he'll do just about  anything for those he cares about. He's pretty much as good and pure as they come.

He helps me into my room and I am quick to fall back onto the floor. It's everything I fear. I mean nothing more to him than simply being the mother of his child. I knew it would happen eventually but I didn't think it would so soon, I was so unprepared. I don't think I've felt pain like it, it makes giving birth to Arabelle look like childsplay.

I don't know how long I cried and sobbed into dracos arms but I cry and cry until no tears remain, I have nothing more to give. I have to accept that there is no future for me and Lorenzo anymore, if there ever was in the first place.

"I'm so sorry Draco, for you to see and deal with me in such a state." I tell him solemnly.

"All in a days work, Kass. It's nothing honestly. But can I ask, what caused a breakdown like that?" He asks.

I explain the scene to him and events leading up to it and he just listens to me go on and on, taking it all in.

"I give everything to him, I give and I give but I have nothing else to give him. He's already taken everything and he's crushed it" I tell him.

"I have no idea what has gotten into him, Kass. But I can go talk to him if you'd like" it was seeing him in this new light, his support, understanding and care that forces the next few words to come out and I find that I do not regret them when I do.

"Draco, will you go to the ball with me?"